Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Home/Root Deleted!?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Beans
    61

    Re: Home/Root Deleted!? Help 911 URGENT

    Quote Originally Posted by itagomo View Post
    that's nice .. I was just thinking maybe the /home/<yourUsername> folder was moved to the Root's folder (/root/) .. you can still access the console by pressing CTRL + ATL + F1 .. it's called TTY .. i call it fullscreen terminal .. it will ask for you username & password ..
    That is really cool and great to know how to do now. Sadly, I can't get into nautilus or start Compiz even when using it. Forgot to ask how to turn it off but I managed to find out by going through the Fx keys.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Beans
    1

    Re: Home/Root Deleted!? Help 911 URGENT

    Quote Originally Posted by itagomo View Post
    can you still go to this path ~/.local/share/Trash/files/ ?

    here are some possible locations..

    ~/.local/share/Trash/files/
    ~/.Trash
    ~/.Trash-XXXX

    XXXX is your username

    Thanks it works for me.......

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    City Of Angels
    Beans
    110
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Home/Root Deleted!? Help 911 URGENT

    Quote Originally Posted by JosephBeck View Post
    That is really cool and great to know how to do now. Sadly, I can't get into nautilus or start Compiz even when using it. Forgot to ask how to turn it off but I managed to find out by going through the Fx keys.
    Oh, sorry. CTRL + ALT + F1 to F6 will open TTY .. CTRL + ALT + F7 will bring you back to Unity or normal session .. have you tried the commands I gave by going to TTY?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Beans
    2,181
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Home/Root Deleted!? Help 911 URGENT

    You should be able to make a new home folder for your user by booting into recovery mode.

    Reboot your computer and hold down the shift button until you get the boot menu. Pick one of the lines ending with "(recovery mode)" and hit enter.
    When you get the recovery mode menu, pick "drop to a root terminal" and hit enter.
    Then type these commands:
    Code:
    mkdir -p /home
    mkdir -p /home/username
    chown username:username /home/username
    reboot
    After that you should be able to log in and get a working session. All configuration files will be recreated from the default settings, so you will loose all your customized settings.

    To see if you have any Trash folder anywhere on your system, run these commands:
    Code:
    sudo updatedb
    locate Trash
    If you can't find your missing files in any Trash folder, there are some things you can do to recover deleted files. But before you have recovered the files, avoid writing to the hard disk. I would boot off a live cd to avoid overwriting deleted files on the hard drive.

    Photorec can recover many different file types (not only photos). To install and run it, run these commands (from a live cd, to avoid overwriting the files):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install testdisk
    sudo photorec
    If you have an extra hard drive or partition with enough space to contain the lost files, it is a good idea to let photorec place the recovered files on that one to avoid overwriting any recoverable files...

    Good luck.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Beans
    61

    Re: Home/Root Deleted!? Help 911 URGENT

    Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    You should be able to make a new home folder for your user by booting into recovery mode.

    Reboot your computer and hold down the shift button until you get the boot menu. Pick one of the lines ending with "(recovery mode)" and hit enter.
    When you get the recovery mode menu, pick "drop to a root terminal" and hit enter.
    Then type these commands:
    Code:
    mkdir -p /home
    mkdir -p /home/username
    chown username:username /home/username
    reboot
    After that you should be able to log in and get a working session. All configuration files will be recreated from the default settings, so you will loose all your customized settings.

    To see if you have any Trash folder anywhere on your system, run these commands:
    Code:
    sudo updatedb
    locate Trash
    If you can't find your missing files in any Trash folder, there are some things you can do to recover deleted files. But before you have recovered the files, avoid writing to the hard disk. I would boot off a live cd to avoid overwriting deleted files on the hard drive.

    Photorec can recover many different file types (not only photos). To install and run it, run these commands (from a live cd, to avoid overwriting the files):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install testdisk
    sudo photorec
    If you have an extra hard drive or partition with enough space to contain the lost files, it is a good idea to let photorec place the recovered files on that one to avoid overwriting any recoverable files...

    Good luck.
    Thank you for that information. Thankfully I have my files safe and sound and I did it in a non-installing stuff way and didnt use the LiveUSB. I was able to right click my desktop, click change wallpaper and it brought that up. I used that window to get to all settings, accounts, and made a second administrator account with password. I was able to hit my power button, select suspend, unsuspend and switch accounts. On the second account I was able to use terminal and the Gksudo nautilus command to open root and find my home folder. I can now move it from root trash to my desktop of my second user account and find a way to somehow replace it to my first account. Anyway to transfer files between user accounts without using a usb by chance >_> It is 27gb worth of files I need to transport. This experience has made me realize it is about time I buy a low sized external hard drive to back things up on monthly. Thank you both for the help again and showing me some new tricks.
    Last edited by JosephBeck; August 2nd, 2012 at 07:19 AM.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    City Of Angels
    Beans
    110
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Home/Root Deleted!? Help 911 URGENT

    very nice you solved .. don't forget to mark thread as Solved ..

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Beans
    61

    Re: Home/Root Deleted!? Help 911 URGENT

    Quote Originally Posted by itagomo View Post
    very nice you solved .. don't forget to mark thread as Solved ..

    My mind is shot after figuring all that stuff out ( I was super stressed as it may be a small amount of files but their value is very high). How do I go about marking this as "Solved". This is my first time having to actually do so.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    City Of Angels
    Beans
    110
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Home/Root Deleted!? Help 911 URGENT

    go to your very first post .. you'll see an an option Thread Tools, then select Mark this thread as solved ..
    Last edited by itagomo; August 2nd, 2012 at 07:29 AM. Reason: ..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •