Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to install themes

Beans

Question How to install themes

I have ubuntu 12.04 and I am trying to install a gtk3 theme but when I try to add the shell extensions for the gnome tweak tool (advance settings) it goes fine on the terminal and seams to install fine but when I click on shell extensions nothing appears therefore I cant activate any themes I have downloaded.

I am a newbie on any lunix os but I want to make this works, so please if anyone know how I can make this work let me know.

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: How to install themes

Welcome you to the world of Linux and Ubuntu Forum. Here is the link to download lots of themes.

http://gnome-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=167

Most of the time you'll get installation instruction along with the downloaded package, if not share your problem here.

Beans

Thank you, I do know about the website. That is where I downloaded a couple of themes I wanted to try. But like I said before my problem is not about finding themes but the fact that I cant see anything on the shell extensions tab on advance settings (gnome tweak tool). The instructions tell me to use the terminal and type some commands to install the shell extensions option but no matter how many times I restart the computer it never shows anything on the shell extensions tab and that is where I need to go to apply the themes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

What desktop environment you are using? Is it Unity or Gnome shell?

Beans

Gnome shell

Beans

Try Installing the User-Theme GNOME Shell extension from PPA. For that, simply copy-paste the following commands into Terminal.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/gnome3
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install gnome-shell-extensions-user-theme

Hope this helps
    Last edited by blade4; August 2nd, 2012 at 06:07 AM.

Beans

Still didn't worked. I have tried other similar commands the same way and it all goes well on the terminal side but when I go to the shell extensions tab nothing shows up its all blank.
    That's my problem for some reason it is not showing the shell extensions but it is installed

Beans

I suppose you could try reinstalling gnome shell , but before that , try out myunity

sudo apt-get install myunity

I know you're using gnome shell but trying this can't do any harm

Beans

Thanks, myunity seams to be working.

I do have another question though. I can change themes and icons with myunity but there is no way to add extensions this way correct?
    For example to change the dock and how it looks and stuff like that. All that seams to be only with the gnome shell.
    If it is so, how can I make the gnome shell extensions to work.
    Last edited by SergioMax; August 2nd, 2012 at 08:19 PM.

Beans

I've never used myunity and have limited experience with gnome shell so I can't say much , but if you're looking for dock modifications , I suggest installing cairo-dock . Its one the best linux docs available

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast