Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon Pixma iP3000 - last page only prints half

Beans

Re: Canon Pixma iP3000 - last page only prints half

Hi Beoram,

Great to hear you got the problem sorted.

Please could you let me know where you found the deb you installed for CUPS 1.5.0 and , if you can, go through the steps you took to get it working. I would be most grateful!

When I tried something similar I ended up breaking the package installer in Ubuntu and it took a great deal of sweat to get it functioning again. I think this was caused by a number of broken dependencies.

many thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by beoram View Post
    I did a forcible "downgrade by downloaded .deb" installation of cups_1.5.0-16_i386 after purging the old cups package (I then had to reinstall gutenprint and bodhi-printing packages). It seems to be printing again normally again!

So that's good, though I'm rather annoyed with CUPS for having wasted so much of my time.
    Beoram, I (rather stupidly) made the same mistake of trying to downgrade to
    1.5.2-9 despite having read your comment and have ended up with a broken CUPS that will neither uninstall nor upgrade. How exactly did you fix this? It would help me (and a lot of others) avoid wasting all the time that you did fixing yours.

EDIT: Here is how I fixed mine. Marked cups for complete removal, which also marked a few other packages for uninstallation. Noted down those packages which got uninstalled. Reinstalled cups (albeit the buggy 1.5.3 version) along with the other packages that got uninstalled. Seems to have worked, so far.

EDIT2: Except that my printer has been unregistered from the system (probably because complete removal purges configuration files too) but thats a minor issue.
    Last edited by kauboy; August 4th, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
    Acer-AOD250 N280-1.66GHz 1GB-DDR2-533 160GB-HDD Ubuntu-10.04 x86
    Intel-D946GZIS E6300-1.86GHz 2x2GB-DDR2-667-DualChan 160GB-HDD LinuxMint-11 x86-64
    None of us were born knowing to use Windows. We just got used to it - unfortunately!

Beans

Just reported this as a bug.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1033064

Really fed up spent a whole day trying to fix this. Downgraded to CUPS 1.5.0 but couldn't print from LibreOffice, printed from other apps OK though.

Help!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by headscratcher View Post
    Hi Beoram,

Great to hear you got the problem sorted.

Please could you let me know where you found the deb you installed for CUPS 1.5.0 and , if you can, go through the steps you took to get it working. I would be most grateful!

When I tried something similar I ended up breaking the package installer in Ubuntu and it took a great deal of sweat to get it functioning again. I think this was caused by a number of broken dependencies.

many thanks
    Yes please, I also want to downgrade until they fix this problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by beoram View Post
    Unfortunately when I tried to downgrade to CUPS 1.5.2-9 I get the following error:

Code:
    Setting up cups (1.5.2-9ubuntu1) ...
    ln: accessing `/usr/lib/cups/backend-available/ipp14': No such file or directory
    dpkg: error processing cups (--configure):
     subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    Same here, so I'm stuck without printing.

Beans

ubnewbie2 - as a temporary solution I have installed Lubuntu 11.10 (which has CUPS 1.5.0) as a guest in Virtualbox and am running my printer from that..

Not ideal but at least it prints.

I had managed to downgrade to CUPS 1.5.0 (the last properly working version) but then had problems printing from LibreOffice, (only this app, everything else was fine) the jobs were sent and visible in the print queue but were empty i.e. showing as 0k. Not sure whether this was a problem with the Gutenprint driver version.

Hopefully a proper fix is going to be released soon. I know that the bug has been triaged and is marked as critical - fingers crossed.

Beans

ubnewbie2 - as a temporary solution I have installed Lubuntu 11.10 (which has CUPS 1.5.0) as a guest in Virtualbox and am running my printer from that..

Not ideal but at least it prints.

I had managed to downgrade to CUPS 1.5.0 (the last properly working version) but then had problems printing from LibreOffice, (only this app, everything else was fine) the jobs were sent and visible in the print queue but were empty i.e. showing as 0k. Not sure whether this was a problem with the Gutenprint driver version.

Hopefully a proper fix is going to be released soon. I know that the bug has been triaged and is marked as critical - fingers crossed.
    Nice idea - running a virtual machine for printing. Thanks.

and yes, I hope the fix comes soon.

Beans

Good news !!!!

There has been some really quick work done by Till Kamppeter the Ubuntu printing maintainer and he has released a fix for testing - 1.5.3-0ubuntu3~ppa1

It's here (near the bottom of page) with instructions on how to install it...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1032456

Just tried it on my Canon iP5200 on Precise and it works!

Do bear in mind that this is a test fix - and do feedback any issues to Till at the above location.

Thank you Till! What a star!

Beans

Good news !!!!

There has been some really quick work done by Till Kamppeter the Ubuntu printing maintainer and he has released a fix for testing - 1.5.3-0ubuntu3~ppa1

It's here (near the bottom of page) with instructions on how to install it...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1032456

Just tried it on my Canon iP5200 on Precise and it works!

Do bear in mind that this is a test fix - and do feedback any issues to Till at the above location.

Thank you Till! What a star!
    #Till, just loaded the fix from your PPA. Very happy to say it works (on my MP270)!

#headscratcher, thanks for all the time you've spent on this. I suspect it speeded the solution for the rest of us....

Cheers

Beans

I am on ubuntu 12.04. Even though I added Till's ppa, I still only see version 1.5.3. of cups.

Edit: sorry either I tried to early or I missed it - but I have the update now, and it WORKS! Thanks.
    Last edited by ubnewbie2; August 6th, 2012 at 11:46 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast