Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Netgear USB N150 wireless adapter keeps asking for password ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Netgear USB N150 wireless adapter keeps asking for password ubuntu 12.04

And before that I tried messing around with ndiswrapper
    And what was your experience? Do you have the Windows XP .inf and .sys files available? Mind if we try again?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

I never could find the right files. The only thing I have is the small driver CD that came with the USB adapter. The files I see on the CD are things like "autorun.inf","setup.ini","TRANS.tbl", "autorun.exe" etc. How do I install ndiswrapper again? sudo get-apt ndisgtk?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by katsumodo View Post
    I never could find the right files. The only thing I have is the small driver CD that came with the USB adapter. The files I see on the CD are things like "autorun.inf","setup.ini","TRANS.tbl", "autorun.exe" etc. How do I install ndiswrapper again? sudo get-apt ndisgtk?
    Yes, exactly.

Let me look around a bit before we try to extract the autorun.exe or install it with wine. Back in a few minutes.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro

Is yours a 32- or 64-bit system?
    Code:
    arch
    I found the files right where you found the Linux drivers; on Realtek's site!

Beans

Nice!

My system is running on "i686" (32 bit)

Beans
    Distro

First we need to unload and blacklist the native driver:
    Code:
    sudo su
    modprobe -r rtl8192cu
    echo "blacklist rtl8192cu" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    Now we load the Windows driver. Download the file I've attached to your desktop. Right-click it and select Extract Here. Now back to the previously opened terminal:
    Code:
    ndisgtk
    When the window opens, point it to Desktop/WinXP/netrtwlanu.inf and let it install the driver and firmware files. Now in the terminal:
    Code:
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    exit
    Any improvement?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

I ran sudo apt-get install ndisgtk and from what it looked like it installed correctly. However when I point ndiswrapper at that .inf file I get this message in ndiswrapper:

"Module could not be loaded. Error was:
    FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.
    Is the ndiswrapper module installed?"

Ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Please do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-dkms
    After it's done, try again. Meantime, I shall draft a bug report.

Beans

So it looks like I installed the dkms module successfully. I installed the windows driver, and as it stands without rebooting I have no connection. I noticed that the hardware status in ndiswrapper said "Hardware Present: No" so I clicked on "Configure Network" upon which an error message popped up saying, "Could not find a network configuration tool." Does this mean that we need to switch back to the default network configuration tool instead of using wicd? (if so, how would I do that?) Also no wireless options or responses are appearing/happening in either wicd, or network tools.

Just rebooted and still seeing the same issues.

Beans
    Distro

ID 0846:9041 NetGear, Inc. WNA1000M 802.11bgn [Realtek RTL8188CUS]
    The inf file I attached includes this:
    [Netgearcus.NTx86]
    ;;%Netgearcus.DeviceDesc% = RTL8192cu.ndi, USB\VID_0846&PID_9041 ; Netgear 88CUSfor B/G/N
    I feel it's the correct file for your device. Please post:
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    dmesg | grep ndis
    That's an l for 'list.' Thanks.
    Does this mean that we need to switch back to the default network configuration tool instead of using wicd?
    I doubt it. Let's troubleshoot first.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast