Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Netgear USB N150 wireless adapter keeps asking for password ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Netgear USB N150 wireless adapter keeps asking for password ubuntu 12.04

Your steps are correct.
    I’m not sure what you mean by “go here”?
    That means find and download the needed package at the link I provided.

How does one drag and drop the 1.58 tar.gz from the terminal to the desktop?
    Not with the terminal. People have downloads set in Firefox to go all sorts of places; Downloads, Desktop, /home/user, and probably more that I haven't discovered. Then, when it's time to install something, they complain that they can't find it in the terminal and post to ask ME, of all people, where it went!!! If your Firefox preferences are not set for downloads to go to Desktop, you can drag and drop the file to Desktop as you will see attached. In this way, we all can find and work on the file because we know it's at Desktop because we put it there.

Also, be sure, once the file is on your Desktop, to right-click it and select 'Extract Here.'
    Hopefully I receive a “Driver Installed” message as opposed “Invalid Driver” message.
    May the Force be with us!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Chili,

First I went to the terminal and ran the following code:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential

The results are as follows:

dzdb@dzdb-System-Product-Name:~$ sudo apt-get installlinux-headers-generic build-essential
    [sudo] password for dzdb:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    build-essential is already the newest version.
    build-essential set to manually installed.
    The following packages were automatically installed and areno longer required:
    linux-headers-3.2.0-29 linux-headers-3.2.0-29-generic-pae
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    linux-headers-3.2.0-38-generic linux-headers-generic
    0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 343 notupgraded.
    Need to get 982 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 11.2 MB of additional disk space willbe used.
    Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...e-updates/main linux-headers-3.2.0-38-generic i386 3.2.0-38.61 [980 kB]
    Err http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/mainlinux-headers-generic i386 3.2.0.38.46
    404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.14 80]
    Err http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-security/mainlinux-headers-generic i386 3.2.0.38.46
    404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.200 80]
    Fetched 980 kB in 0s (1,600 kB/s)
    Failed to fetchhttp://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux-meta/linux-headers-generic_3.2.0.38.46_i386.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.200 80]
    E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update ortry with --fix-missing?
    dzdb@dzdb-System-Product-Name:~$

It appears that there are some errors. Am I correct?

Per your post 111, I then dragged and dropped your attached file to the desktop of my computer. I accomplished this by left clicking on the attachment and then moving the attachment file from the Ubuntu Forum website to my Desktop. I then unclicked the mouse. Once on my desktop, I then right-clicked the attached file. Unfortunately I never saw an option for "Extract Here".

Why didn't I ever see the "Extract Here" option?

Some more information which may be pertinent:

Name: Size 149.9 KB
    Type: Unknown
    Size: Unknown

I then went to the terminal and attempted to do the following:

cd Desktop/nidiswrapper-1.58
    sudo su
    make
    make install
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    exit

My output is as follows:

dzdb@dzdb-System-Product-Name:~$ cd Desktop/nidiswrapper-1.58
    bash: cd: Desktop/nidiswrapper-1.58: No such file ordirectory
    dzdb@dzdb-System-Product-Name:~$ sudo su
    root@dzdb-System-Product-Name:/home/dzdb# make
    make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
    root@dzdb-System-Product-Name:/home/dzdb# cdDesktop/nidiswrapper-1.58
    bash: cd: Desktop/nidiswrapper-1.58: No such file ordirectory
    root@dzdb-System-Product-Name:/home/dzdb# make install
    make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.
    root@dzdb-System-Product-Name:/home/dzdb#

I now see that I made a mistake with:

cd Desktop/nidiswrapper-1.58

it should be:

cd Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.58

Beans
    Distro

It appears that there are some errors. Am I correct?
    Yes, and until they are resolved, there is no need to proceed; all succeeding steps will be errors as well.
    Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...e-updates/main linux-headers-3.2.0-38-generic i386 3.2.0-38.61 [980 kB]
    Err http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/mainlinux-headers-generic i386 3.2.0.38.46
    404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.14 80]
    Err http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-security/mainlinux-headers-generic i386 3.2.0.38.46
    404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.200 80]
    Evidently, one of the repositories was either temporarily unavailable or maybe unavailable from your country. I'd try again:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-headers-generic 
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall build-essential
    Then proceed. If the repository still can't be found, I'd try other locales under Software Sources. See here. http://i.stack.imgur.com/kmKL6.png

I then right-clicked the attached file. Unfortunately I never saw an option for "Extract Here".
    I'm not quite sure I understand why not. Please see attached. Again, it a step fails; that is, you are unable to extract the package, until it is resolved, there is no need to proceed; all succeeding steps will be errors as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Chili,

Regarding why the code "sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential" didn't install properly. I reside in Maryland, U.S. I believe we live in the same country. So it should have loaded properly. The second link appears to be better. I am at work right now so I cannot use the ultimate test which is extracting the file to my Ubunutu computer located in my home. However when I double click on the attachment file I see the "Extract Here" option.

I'm starting to get very frustrated. I will probably try again tomorrow morning starting with the codes:

If these steps are accomplished successfully then I will proceed.
    Last edited by DZDB; April 5th, 2013 at 05:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I reside in Maryland, U.S. I believe we live in the same country. So it should have loaded properly.
    Quite correct. That doesn't mean, however, that the US repositories weren't temporarily out of service.

Beans

Chili,

Yes, maybe the US repositories were temporarily out of service. I ran the following commands:

My results are as follows:

dzdb@dzdb-System-Product-Name:~$ sudo apt-get install--reinstall linux-headers-generic
    Building dependency tree
    The following extra packages will be installed:
    linux-headers-3.2.0-39 linux-headers-3.2.0-39-generic
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    linux-headers-3.2.0-39 linux-headers-3.2.0-39-genericlinux-headers-generic
    0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 376 notupgraded.
    Need to get 12.7 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 67.5 MB of additional disk space willbe used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
    Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...e-updates/main linux-headers-3.2.0-39 all 3.2.0-39.62 [11.7 MB]
    Get:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...e-updates/main linux-headers-3.2.0-39-generic i386 3.2.0-39.62 [981 kB]
    Get:3 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...e-updates/main linux-headers-generic i386 3.2.0.39.47 [2,590 B]
    Fetched 12.7 MB in 1s (6,451 kB/s)
    Selecting previously unselected packagelinux-headers-3.2.0-39.
    (Reading database ... 170234 files and directories currentlyinstalled.)
    Unpacking linux-headers-3.2.0-39 (from.../linux-headers-3.2.0-39_3.2.0-39.62_all.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected packagelinux-headers-3.2.0-39-generic.
    Unpacking linux-headers-3.2.0-39-generic (from.../linux-headers-3.2.0-39-generic_3.2.0-39.62_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected packagelinux-headers-generic.
    Unpacking linux-headers-generic (from.../linux-headers-generic_3.2.0.39.47_i386.deb) ...
    Setting up linux-headers-3.2.0-39 (3.2.0-39.62) ...
    Setting up linux-headers-3.2.0-39-generic (3.2.0-39.62) ...
    Examining /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d.
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/dkms3.2.0-39-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-39-generic
    Setting up linux-headers-generic (3.2.0.39.47) ...
    dzdb@dzdb-System-Product-Name:~$ sudo apt-get install--reinstall build-essential
    Building dependency tree
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and376 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B/5,796 B of archives.
    After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will beused.
    (Reading database ... 192535 files and directories currentlyinstalled.)
    Preparing to replace build-essential 11.5ubuntu2.1 (using.../build-essential_11.5ubuntu2.1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement build-essential ...
    Setting up build-essential (11.5ubuntu2.1) ...

Did the commands run successfully? It looks like it wasn't successfull since I see these get: 1, get: 2 and get: 3 requests. Yesterday afternoon I returned both the Netgear N150 and the Linksys N300 usb adpaters back to Radio Shack. Yesterday was the last day that could return the usb adapters and still get a full refund. If my commands did run successfully I will then repurchase the Netgear N150 usb adapter.

Some more background information. I will have an additional Verizon FIOS cable line installed which will be for the Linux Ubuntu computer. This will facilitate the task of trouble shooting. Moving the Ubuntu computer, along with the monitor, keyboard, and mouse, to the office, re-plugging all wires back in (including the Verizon FIOS cable line) proved to be a monumental tasks. The additional cable line will probably will be installed within two weeks. So if my commands didn't work, I will then regroup and try again. I have not given up. I have the feeling the installing other types of drives, such as printers, will also prove challenging. However I like the fact that Linux is free. I also intent to build more linux computers.

If I were to go to the Ubuntu Software centers and download ndiswrapper, would version 1.58 download?
    Last edited by DZDB; April 8th, 2013 at 11:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Did the commands run successfully?
    Yes, perfectly.
    I see these get: 1, get: 2 and get: 3 requests.
    Yes, but not what you saw before: Failed to fetch ... 404 Not Found. As well, you see this indicating they were installed after they were downloaded:
    Setting up linux-headers-3.2.0-39 (3.2.0-39.62) ...
    Setting up linux-headers-3.2.0-39-generic (3.2.0-39.62) ...
    Setting up build-essential (11.5ubuntu2.1) ...
    If I were to go to the Ubuntu Software centers and download ndiswrapper, would version 1.58 download?
    Nope. You'd get the older and possibly faulty 1.57. I suggest you download 1.58 from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndis.../files/stable/ If you are no longer connected to the FIOS, you could easily download the package on any other computer on a USB stick, insert it in your Ubuntu computer, drag and drop it from the USB stick to your desktop and then right-click it and select 'Extract Here.' Now back to the terminal:
    Code:
    cd Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.58
    sudo su
    make
    make install
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    exit
    I suspect it will all go well, but if there is any error or warning, post it here.

Beans

Chili,

I am still connected to FIOS. In additon you telling my sudo apt-get install commands ran successfully has inspired me. I will run the commands you recommended tomorrow morning.

Beans

Chili,

I received an error message with the first command which is as follows:

cd Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.58My results are as follows:dzdb@dzdb-System-Product-Name:~$ cd Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.58
    bash: cd: Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.58: No such file or directory
    dzdb@dzdb-System-Product-Name:~$ cd Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.58

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DZDB View Post
    Chili,

I received an error message with the first command which is as follows:

cd Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.58My results are as follows:dzdb@dzdb-System-Product-Name:~$ cd Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.58
    dzdb@dzdb-System-Product-Name:~$ cd Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.58
    Did you get the ndiswrapper tar.gz to your desktop? Did you right-click it and select 'Extract Here?' How could it not be there if you put it there? What does this tell us?
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    ls

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast