Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compaq CQ57 - VLC - slow 1080p playback

Beans

Compaq CQ57 - VLC - slow 1080p playback

Ubuntu 12.04 AMD64: E-300, 4GB, HD6310

Well video plays two frames and stops, but video goes on and sound works perfectly. File is .mp4 and maybe H.264. I guess it's using only processor not graphics card. AMD Catalyst 12.4 driver is installed. I've checked Catalyst settings. What else should I do? Is it related to UVD?

****** solve *******
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...va/+bug/974205
    My Ubuntu 12.04 running on HP Probook 6465b is also affected. I managed to sort of fix it and get HW accelerated playback in VLC and mplayer by manualy putting "fglrx_drv_video.so" in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/. I took it from the package xvba-video_0.8.0-1_amd64.deb. HW accelerated playback is confirmed by vainfo and lower cpu usage.
    Last edited by 1204; August 2nd, 2012 at 11:51 PM. Reason: solved

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Compaq CQ57 - VLC - slow 1080p videoplayback

When you initialized the driver, did you do
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --adapter=all --initial
    to make sure you initialized both the APU and the discrete card? CCC should then allow you to switch between integrated and discrete graphics, but a logout/in is required. This does not occur dynamically as in Windows.

Please see the ATI driver wiki in my signature. There is a section in the table of contents entitled "Using the Ubuntu repositories (alternate command line method, including hardware acceleration" that may be helpful.
    Last edited by QIII; August 1st, 2012 at 07:24 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Re: Compaq CQ57 - VLC - slow 1080p videoplayback

Yeah I did that but not helped. Also fglrxinfo was ok. But hey, va-driver looks promising
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xvba-va-driver libva-glx1 libva-egl1 vainfo
    Code:
    sudo vainfo
    Last edited by 1204; August 1st, 2012 at 07:29 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Compaq CQ57 - VLC - slow 1080p playback

UVD 2 and forward should not be an issue.

mp4 acceleration is not included in the hardware acceleration for ATI in Linux, IIRC.

I use smplayer, by the way. I'm not happy with the quality using VLC.
    Last edited by QIII; August 1st, 2012 at 07:42 PM.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans

Yeah now it shows same vainfo as in ubuntu wiki. In vlc there is GPU acceleration enabled. But video doesn't play properly and it's same in other video players. It also doesn't play well HD flash videos on Youtube. Any suggestions?

Edit. I also tried original ubuntu fglrx drivers but those were worse than AMD Catalyst.
    Last edited by 1204; August 1st, 2012 at 07:49 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Flash is a problem. Adobe chose to support hardware acceleration only for nVIDIA (VDPAU) so you are left with the APU/CPU for Flash with ATI.

Are you still only getting a few frames? What happens if you switch to discrete?

BTW, the fglrx driver in the repo is the ATI driver, version 12.4, development branch 8.960.

If you installed fglrx-updates, that is problematic for some users.
    Last edited by QIII; August 1st, 2012 at 07:58 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Flash is a problem. Adobe chose to support hardware acceleration only for nVIDIA (VDPAU) so you are left with the APU/CPU for flash.
    Yeah but all videos on Youtube/VLC works better on my 5 year old Intel x3100/Celeron so I guess this is a GPU driver problem.
    Are you still only getting a few frames? What happens if you switch to discrete?
    Yeah only couple frames and it stops. If you choose different point it plays a few frames and stops. Sounds works perfectly. 480p mkv/x264 file works well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    BTW, the fglrx driver in the repo is the ATI driver, version 12.4, development branch 8.960.
    I also tried 12.6 but there was watermark that gpu is not supported (hd 6310). I installed 12.4 this way >link<
    Code:
    sh ./amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/precise

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 1204 View Post
    Yeah but all videos on Youtube/VLC works better on my 5 year old Intel x3100/Celeron so I guess this is a GPU driver problem.
    I don't think so. Flash dumps to the CPU with ATI graphics. That was Adobe's decision.

Yeah only couple frames and it stops. If you choose different point it plays a few frames and stops. Sounds works perfectly. 480p mkv/x264 file works well.
    I'll have to look at VLC. Somewhere there is a setting (rendering, maybe) that says something like "Fast, for ATI".

This may not be a driver problem per se. In that case I'd expect playback, but just crappy playback. I've never encountered what you are describing. I'll have to do a bit of research.
    Last edited by QIII; August 1st, 2012 at 08:12 PM.

Beans

This post was not related to topic, so deleted not to mix readers in this case. Thank you QIII for your help and time.
    Last edited by 1204; August 2nd, 2012 at 11:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast