Thread: completely glitched

Beans

completely glitched

Everything was working fine just last night; I don't think that I even did any updates yesterday! I turn on my computer this morning and notice a very nasty looking image stuck on the bottom of my screen: http://i.imgur.com/WPEmx.jpg

As of now, my computer feels extremely glitchy. I can't open any context menus (right clicking), I can't open any of the menus on the top of X (time/calendar, system menu, sounds, etc.), and the cursor seems to be completely buggy too -- If I have a textbox in focus (eg. the address bar in Firefox), I can see it repeatedly flashing at way too high a speed. I tried doing a Ctrl+Alt+F1 and logging in through there, but as soon as I typed in my username and was prompted for my password, the thing started spitting out this on repeat: ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ ^@^@^@
    I ended up loading up one of the previous linux versions (the earliest version I have available), and things are at least somewhat more usable here; but I notice the same issues are on here too, the icon is there but its continuously going on and off.

Honestly I don't even know where to begin with this. Whats going on ?? How can I fix this bug? And what even caused it to come up? Please help, Ubuntu forums

Beans

Re: completely glitched

Try another keyboard.

Beans

I just got back from classes and tried things out on the computer again. Once I turned it on, EVERYTHING was working just fine. Honestly I don't get it, because nothing (afaik) has changed since this morning. I've restarted a couple of times to confirm that everything is fine. Honestly I'm a little concerned about this, that such a strange glitch could just popup like that, and then suddenly disappear out of nowhere. Any ideas? I'll post back here if I have any further updates regarding this.

stinkeye: I'm using an external keyboard, and tried unplugging it in favour of the builtin laptop keyboard this morning. This wasn't the issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by JBudOne View Post
    stinkeye: I'm using an external keyboard, and tried unplugging it in favour of the builtin laptop keyboard this morning. This wasn't the issue
    Be that as it may, this business

the thing started spitting out this on repeat: ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ ^@^@^@
    looks a lot like a keyboard error. Like a hanging key or something.
    Michael