Thread: "bootmgr missing" help

Beans

Red face "bootmgr missing" help

I am an absolute beginner. Today I installed Ubuntu from Windows 7, then deleted Windows 7 using OS Uninstaller. I ran updates and restarted and got a "bootmgr missing" error. I can't get past it. How can I fix this? I've read about boot installer but wondering how I run it if I can't get to anything. Will burning it to a CD make it autostart? Sorry I'm so new to this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: "bootmgr missing" help

I've had a lot of problems with this. If you just install Ubuntu, the easiest thing to do would be to start over and it'll install GRUB instead. If not, boot into a live CD via CD-ROM or flash drive and run grub-install. I'm not too good with GRUB though and GRUB2 (latest) is pretty finicky.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

+1 on starting over.. installing grub from the live CD may be more trouble than its worth - especially since the install only takes about 15-20 minutes these days.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Sometimes a full reinstall is the easiest for new users.

But we often like to try to fix things, sometimes it takes days, when a reinstall may be an hour.

You can see if this installs grub, if not run the BootInfo report and post link.
    Bootmgr is Windows boot loader, so it still has Windows in the MBR and is trying to boot Windows.

Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    You can repair many boot issues with this or 'Create BootInfo' report (Other Options) & post the link it creates, so we can see your exact configuration.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by hillaryshaffer View Post
    ...Today I installed Ubuntu from Windows 7, ...
    I can't help but wonder if it might have been a Wubi install. In this case, as far as I know, it will have been removed along with the Windows.

If the Ubuntu install is really fresh, I would also suggest doing it again.

Well done, by the way, on getting rid of Windows in one fell swoop.
    Michael

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by hillaryshaffer View Post
    I am an absolute beginner. Today I installed Ubuntu from Windows 7, then deleted Windows 7 using OS Uninstaller. I ran updates and restarted and got a "bootmgr missing" error.
    That's because (1) you installed Ubuntu from INSIDE Windows, so when you removed Windows, you removed Ubuntu as well, and (2) the Wubi install relies on the Windows boot loader to produce the OS Selection menu -- which you removed when you removed Windows.

You should boot from CD or USB and install Ubuntu that way.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Mate, Mint 17.3; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.