Thread: Text to Speech

Beans

Red face Text to Speech

Hi

so i need a good program that allows the computer to read text to me. i downloaded Espeak, the best rated the software centre could find, but its not as good as i hoped.

are there any other programs?

Beans

Re: Text to Speech

is there a way LibreOffice can read text aloud? if not then, libreOffice why can you not....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

try Orca screen reader.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Beans

Quite a few websites do this, I tried a quick Google search, here's a link which should help.

http://text-to-speech.imtranslator.net/

Beans

Re: Text to Speech intonation software

Hello!

I was trying to listen on my Kindle, to a text to speech reading of 'Uncle Tom's cabin', and the voice was so emotionally flat and with such flat intonation, that i could not concentrate or enjoy the reading/listening at all.

I was wondering, if i can find some sort of intonation editing software, which enables an individual person or a crowd, using crowd wisdom model, to literally color with emotions sentences or part of sentences. What i mean is a special text editor, which implements an intonation and emotional color scale or index - and thus improve the speech readability of texts. Say, a person colors a sentence or a part of sentence with light blue - as a result, the sentence will be read with an ironic tone of questioning, darker blue, a more serious tone of questioning, reddish orange an angry command and lighter orange a plea etc...This can also include a way to indicate the undertone of whole paragraphs, in parallel to sentences. For example, a whole paragraph with a mysterious undertone, while inside this paragraph some sentences are colored with amazement intonation and others with a light threatening tone.

Does this sort of text to speech editing software exist? If not, can you please explain to me what the reasons are?

I could think of the following reasons for, if indeed, that kind of software does not exists:

Can you please point out for me, if one of these possibilities is close enough to the truth and elaborate on the subject?

1. All attempts up to this day, were focusing on a total automatic approach - developing a software that knows how to insert intonation, without any human involvement. The computer is supposed to understand the text from A to Z, in order to insert intonation autonomously.

2. The seemingly simpler task, of semi-automating this process, using a set of manual tools, that tag an emotional color per sentence or part of sentence, is at present, a more complicated task than even our best technology has yet achieved. At present state, computers are not able to just take any given sentence and add to it an emotional color, even a color that is chosen, in advance, manually per sentence, by a human, since this task involves sentence grammar analysis/vocal AI, that is too complicated a task for existing software tools.

Thanks,
    Roi.
    Last edited by roineust; February 18th, 2013 at 01:04 AM.