Thread: Clustering

Beans

Clustering

I have three computers. One desktop and two netbooks. all I want to do is hook them together so I can play games without having to buy a new computer. I've heard of this thing called clustering, where the computers all work in tandem, and I'm pretty good at figuring things out, but all the instructions I find are way over my head. Even the simplest "how-to"s make my head hurt. Is someone able to give me instructions that are so simple, a ten year old can understand them? (I'm 21, but the simpler the instructions, the better.)

Beans

Re: Clustering

I did my undergrad research on linux clusters. To put it simply,m this will not work. Clusters require an entirely separate field of software where the programmer has to know ahead of time that they are dealing with a networked cluster to truly take advantage of it. There are some softwares like mosix or open mosix that allow you to migrate forked processes but no game is going to be forking separate processes to handle computations. Further, with gaming, most of the heavy lifting is done on the gpu.

I understand your sentiment, but the idea simply won't work. I could fire up crysis on blue gene and it wouldn't matter. The process would stick to one node because it wasn't programmed to take advantage of all of them. The game would actually run slower in that cluster than running it on my 10 year old laptop.

Thats the aerial view, I could explain further if you need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by dbaile10 View Post
    I did my undergrad research on linux clusters. To put it simply,m this will not work. Clusters require an entirely separate field of software where the programmer has to know ahead of time that they are dealing with a networked cluster to truly take advantage of it. There are some softwares like mosix or open mosix that allow you to migrate forked processes but no game is going to be forking separate processes to handle computations. Further, with gaming, most of the heavy lifting is done on the gpu.

I understand your sentiment, but the idea simply won't work. I could fire up crysis on blue gene and it wouldn't matter. The process would stick to one node because it wasn't programmed to take advantage of all of them. The game would actually run slower in that cluster than running it on my 10 year old laptop.

Thats the aerial view, I could explain further if you need.
    A very big +1

The sort of software you want to run isn't designed to be used on a cluster, there is no way of getting the result you are trying to achieve.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by dbaile10 View Post
    I did my undergrad research on linux clusters. To put it simply,m this will not work...
    +1

However if you have a database usage for clustering I would recommend using Hadoop to setup your cluster.
    UA Team Member
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss
    "No man has ever seen his dreams fulfilled and regretted the sacrifice necessary to fulfill them" -- Mattie Montgomery

Beans

Oh... I didn't know that... I guess this counts as "solved" then. Especially if doing so would give me the opposite result of what I want.