Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell Latitude D630

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Dell Latitude D630

Hi guys I am a 15 Year-Old High School Student I have Ubuntu 10.04 on my Dell Latitude D630 it have 80 GB HDD, 1GB Ram, DVD Combo, Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M, Processor 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T7300. So I need to ask that these specifications of my Laptop are OK or I need to upgrade them or I have to change my laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Dell Latitude D630

Since you have only 1Gb of ram I would recommend either Xubuntu or Lubuntu. Ubuntu will run with 1gb of ram but I think you won't be satisfied.

Regards.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

+1, I recommend lubuntu it will run better then ubuntu but xubuntu will do ok too.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No Guys You Didn't understood me I meant that I will always have Ubuntu how much do I have to Upgrade on my laptop. Like you said 1GB isn't Enough so Should I upgrade to 2GB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

2GB Ram will have it running comfortably. 4GB is more than enough.

I run Ubuntu 12.04 on a think pad t61 with 2 gigabyte ram and runs just fine.

are you planning on upgrading current laptop Or purchasing the new 1.if you're going to buy a new one how to get one with At least gigabytes of ram.
    Best,
    Lev

[Personal Blog]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

you should upgrade as much as possible (possibly in system and how much money you have).

another option is to use Unity 2D which should reduce the ram usage.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The Maximum Possibility in system is 4GB. And I do not use Ubuntu Netbook Edition I use Gnome. So I should Upgrade as much as possible but what would be the minimum specs would you recommend me to run ubuntu smoothly

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

4gb - your max, would be much better for ubuntu when you start running other apps.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by SEECo View Post
    The Maximum Possibility in system is 4GB. And I do not use Ubuntu Netbook Edition I use Gnome.
    there is no netbook edition anymore. there is Unity which is default interace for Gnome and there is Gnome fallback. There is also Gnome shell.

Gnome fallback and Unity 2D use less system resources and 1 GB should be just finefor those settings.
    So I should Upgrade as much as possible but what would be the minimum specs would you recommend me to run ubuntu smoothly
    if you can afford to upgrade and if you plan to use the mashcine for some time to come, then it would be good to go fo 4 GB. More ram is always better, no matter what OS you are running. applications need it and more ram you have more applicaitons can run at same time.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    there is no netbook edition anymore. there is Unity which is default interace for Gnome and there is Gnome fallback. There is also Gnome shell.

Gnome fallback and Unity 2D use less system resources and 1 GB should be just finefor those settings.

if you can afford to upgrade and if you plan to use the mashcine for some time to come, then it would be good to go fo 4 GB. More ram is always better, no matter what OS you are running. applications need it and more ram you have more applicaitons can run at same time.
    Then 4 GB is OK and what about my Nvidia Graphics Card is that one OK to run it correctly. And another thing the version of Ubuntu 10.04 I am using has no thing like unity it is a netbook edition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast