Thread: second video card detected but not showing in list.

Beans

second video card detected but not showing in list.

I am attempting to build a machine out of some spare parts and I have a couple old video cards. Each of the video cards works fine by themselves but for some reason won't work simultaneously. Both are standard PCI not onboard or pcix so I'm sure they can work together.

The output of
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    gives me:
    Code:
    01:07.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Rage 128 RE/SG
    01:08.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2)
    So both are detected. But when I go to activate my second monitor, it doesn't show up in the list. All i get is:

Side note... whats up with it naming the monitor laptop? I'm on a custom built desktop....

Anyhow, thats not the end of the weirdness. If I log in and then log out, the second screen comes on and gives me a bunch of white vertical lines with some text that I can't really make out. It looks like:

And if I shut the machine down the splash screen seems to work just fine as well:

I have never encountered any problems like this and any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by dbaile10; July 31st, 2012 at 06:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: second video card detected but not showing in list.

I'm not quite sure of what you are trying to do.
    Your not going to be able to run 2 different video cards at the same time. They both require a different set of drivers .
    AMD FX-6200 - MSI 4.1Ghz- Nvidia GTX550Ti -12/GIG - 60GB-SSD/500 Sata - 12.04 - Gnome 3

Beans

I am trying to run both, is it not possible to run 2 different video cards with linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by dbaile10 View Post
    I am trying to run both, is it not possible to run 2 different video cards with linux?
    Nope not in linux or Windows . The key word is different.
    If they are the same manufacturer and designed to so it is done quite often. Heres a simple link posted by one of the retailers.
    http://www.overstock.com/guides/How-...Your-Gaming-PC
    AMD FX-6200 - MSI 4.1Ghz- Nvidia GTX550Ti -12/GIG - 60GB-SSD/500 Sata - 12.04 - Gnome 3