Thread: Low graphics mode

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Low graphics mode

Since the last batch of updates about 4 days ago or so, on initial boot-up of the day I'm not getting a login screen but am getting an error saying that I'm running in low-graphics mode. Clicking OK gets me to a menu of four options, like reconfigure, troubleshoot, and exit to console login, but I have no cursor and am unable to select any of the options.

I've been using CTRL-alt-SysRq REISUB to recover, but what can I do to fix or at least troubleshoot this issue?

System76 Serp7 with NVIDIA GeForce 560M
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans

Re: Low graphics mode

Note: I do not mean to Hijack this thread but I have a same situation as the OP.

I Second the situation.
    I am having the same problem on Startup.
    I have a HD7000 series ATI card.
    I am using the official drivers from AMD for support of full 3D acceleration.
    The AMD Catalyst gives me the option to switch to Intel Integrated graphics. When I do that, I have to restart for it to take effect. It boots into low graphics mode desktop where my mouse cursor never shows up and there is no keyboard functionality so that I can choose one of the four options.
    I then have to switch to terminal and reconfigure the catalyst through command-line to switch to the ATI GPU and ubuntu works fine again. Running the laptop on ATI GPU isnt helping with the battery life at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by AbbasKhalil View Post
    Note: I do not mean to Hijack this thread but I have a same situation as the OP.

I Second the situation.
    I am having the same problem on Startup.
    I have a HD7000 series ATI card.
    I am using the official drivers from AMD for support of full 3D acceleration.
    The AMD Catalyst gives me the option to switch to Intel Integrated graphics. When I do that, I have to restart for it to take effect. It boots into low graphics mode desktop where my mouse cursor never shows up and there is no keyboard functionality so that I can choose one of the four options.
    I then have to switch to terminal and reconfigure the catalyst through command-line to switch to the ATI GPU and ubuntu works fine again. Running the laptop on ATI GPU isnt helping with the battery life at all.
    I think you have a different problem. Plus, we can't really provide good support for non-System76 PCs here. You might try this section: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=332

As for the original problem, try pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 on your keyboard, then log in. From here, run these commands:

Code:
    sudo rm -v /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    sudo reboot
    This will clear any existing configuration you may have, then reboot the system.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro

Thank you. Marking as "Solved".
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Distro

Another set of updates, another recurrence of "Low Graphics Mode". This time
    Code:
    sudo rm -v /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    resulted in '/etc/X11/xorg.conf not found'.

Entered
    Code:
    sudo reboot
    but wound up back in 'Low Graphics Mode' after the reboot.

BTW, attempting to use the 'One Time Boot Into Low Graphics Mode' option just drops to console. Using startx just returns 'xserver already in use' (or similar) message.

Finally used Ctrl-Alt-SysRq+REISUB which finally got booted correctly.

Is this a flaw in the kernel module for Nvidia? I seem to get 'Low Graphics' Mode' about once a week; more often after various updates.

EDIT: Latest updates seem to have solved this for now *fingers crossed*
    Last edited by MoebusNet; October 7th, 2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: solved (again)