Thread: AMD 5850, distorted graphics

Beans

Unhappy AMD 5850, flickering graphics

Hello everyone!

Yesterday I installed Ubuntu 12.04 and installed and enabled the proprietary drivers for my AMD Graphics. Great so far, really loving it!

However, when doing anything game-related (Or requireing 3d?) , it seems it comes out really distorted / flickering / weird.

Or to try to explain more closely:

glxgears runs fine. However, running Starcraft 2 in playonlinux, some frames would sometimes show me the glxgears cogs in some frames, really odd and weird. Has someone else encountered the same issues and have any clue how to fix it? I would love to swap over to linux on full-time.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by spirry; July 30th, 2012 at 12:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: AMD 5850, distorted graphics

Do you enabled Tear Free in AMD CCC?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kreaninw View Post
    Do you enabled Tear Free in AMD CCC?
    I did. Something I read suggested it.
    I enabled it before I started my game, I also tried disabling it without any success, same flickering problem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Have you tried the free-open source radeonhd driver? I was just like you, using the proprietary driver when I first got my RadeonHD 5770. This was back before I realized that I liked Unity, which means that I was also trying out the (back then new) Gnome 3 desktop environment. When I would use Gnome 3, the upper panel always looked blurry and the words were not legible, so I decided to find a fix. I tried disabling the proprietary radeon driver I switched to the open source driver and the problem went away immediately.
    Maybe I should mention that I also do a bit of gaming on Linux. Lately I've been playing Amnesia: The Dark Descent as well as Bastion, both of which were part of the Humble Indie Bundle 5. I've run into zero problems with the games I've played. It might be worth looking into:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonHD

Just follow the instructions on that page if you want to try it out.

All I know is that I know nothing....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@oscarivera9 -

The problem with GNOME 3 is a known one and is on the GNOME end.

@spirry -

How did you install the driver? If from the repo, did you use the "Additional Drivers" GUI method or via the command line? Did you install the normal driver or the "post release updates" driver?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    @spirry -

How did you install the driver? If from the repo, did you use the "Additional Drivers" GUI method or via the command line? Did you install the normal driver or the "post release updates" driver?
    I installed the drivers using the additional drivers GUI