Thread: Monument to Spam

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Monument to Spam

While I understand that Wine neglects their own sorry excuse for a message board and that the Wine forum here, still exists, it's obvious that it was marginalized for more than one stupid reason. I vaguely recall there being claims about bandwidth and relevance. If those are true concerns, why are inane forums such as "Community Cafe Games" still around? Do we really need 500 page threads about counting to arbitrary numbers? I would argue that Wine has a lot more to do with Ubuntu than anything in Cafe Games, yet it's stuffed within another forum.. presumably to keep folks from (easily) finding it. If Wine is so unrelated that it should be considered a sub-topic of games (which is absurd since most of the software I have ever used with Wine, have not been games) then the truly unnecessary forums should've been gone long ago. No?

I'm just using the Wine forum as an example to compare perceptions of relevance against prominence. On one hand you have the Wine forum, where people can get answers about problems, but it's considered to be spam because.. why? Because Canonical doesn't own it? Because we're afraid of the implications of running non-native software? If that's the case, get rid of it entirely, based on that principle alone, instead of miscategorizing it. Then on the other hand you have this "Community Cafe Games" forum that is essentially for spam, because let's face it.. no one in that forum is actually having fun or playing any games. Bots could "play" those "games" ..

Lemme try from another angle: We're monkeys in adjacent trees. I hurl feces at you, for crossing in to my territory, then you retaliate by hurling feces at me. This typically continues until one of us runs out of feces, since monkeys don't really care about being struck by another monkey's excrement. Also, those turds pile up fast on the jungle floor and the other monkeys can easily become incensed by the commotion and the odor, provoking them to essentially pick up where we left off. These fecal fights can continue for days (weeks, months.. who knows?!) and can grow exponentially if you get enough monkeys together in a small area. (Turd war)

That's how this message board should look at spam and spammers. It's not remotely close to being a cafe and those threads are far from being games. It's a pathetic waste of space that is about as relevant to Ubuntu as a group of turd-hurling monkeys.

Flame-retardant: I think this is one of, if not the most valuable message boards / sites for information about Ubuntu. Please do not twist my dislike for the above mentioned forum as some sort of hatred for the entire message board.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Monument to Spam

Your unhappiness with Cafe Games and with the current location of the Wine sub-forum are noted.

Your opinion about the Cafe and Cafe Games however are misguided and I can see how offence can be taken by your comments, thus I closed this thread.