Thread: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO too slow

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO too slow

I just installed a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cpu heatsink/fan on an Asus AM3+ motherboard. The average chassis fan speed is usually about 100 RPMs faster than the CPU fan's speed.
    While the CPU is running idle, the CPU fan registers at about 600 RPMs, and the chassis fan is about 725 RPMs. When the CPU is overclocked, the CPU fan registers at about 845 RPMs and the chassis fan is at about 950 RPMs. The CPU temperature is usually between 34C- 41C which is the same temperature I was getting with the stock CPU fan.

I'm wondering if it is normal that the Hyper 212 EVO run slower than the chassis fan or if I've done something wrong, and if so what should I be checking into fixing?

All I know is that I know nothing....

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO too slow

That range of CPU temperatures is excellent, so the fan should be just idling. There's no reason for it to work "hard" at temperatures below 50C.

The application which makes my CPU work the hardest is folding@home, set up for multiple CPUs. Video rendering can also get things going.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    That range of CPU temperatures is excellent, so the fan should be just idling. There's no reason for it to work "hard" at temperatures below 50C.

The application which makes my CPU work the hardest is folding@home, set up for multiple CPUs. Video rendering can also get things going.

Thanks for your response. I wasn't sure if I should worry or not, after all the temperatures didn't seem high. The motherboard temperature does seem to be on average bout 10C lower than the CPU, is that also normal? The Asus motherboard I've got has Q-Expert Fan control that also regulates the chassis fan's speed as well as the CPU's.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'm surprised the motherboard temperature is so low. Room temperature is 22C, normal body temperature is 37C. Is your motherboard cooler than you are? [smile]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    I'm surprised the motherboard temperature is so low. Room temperature is 22C, normal body temperature is 37C. Is your motherboard cooler than you are? [smile]
    Apparently it is, that's what the Asus sensor says in the UEFI BIOS and that's also what PSensor says when I'm using Ubuntu. The lowest motherboard temperature I've seen is 24C, but that's usually right after start-up. It usually lingers at around 28C when the PC is at idle.
    I never thought about it the way you put it; comparing the CPU & motherboard temperatures to room temperature and to body temperature, but that makes sense.

Thanks for your responses, I really appreciate it.