Thread: Is my backup useless?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Exclamation Is my backup useless?

I made a backup using:
    Code:
    sudo dd bs=15M if=/dev/sda5 conv=sync,noerror | gzip -9 > /home/myusername/.System-Root-Partition-Image.img.gz
    And now I need my backup and I can't figure out how to restore it.
    I figured I would need to do the reverse of what I did before. So from a liveusb I tried:
    Code:
    sudo dd if=/media/e7e88e65-92e8-481e-bdf6-a52d1367dfa6/myusername/.System-Root-Partition-Image.img.gz of=/dev/sda5
    It didn't work.
    (the image is on in my home folder. I have my homefolder backed externally)

What do I do now?
    Please help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Is my backup useless?

You compressed the backup with gzip. You need to decompress it with gzip -d .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spjackson View Post
    You compressed the backup with gzip. You need to decompress it with gzip -d .
    I second that! Should work great after you decompress the backup.

Kirk

Beans

hey

I made a backup using: Code: sudo dd bs=15M if=/dev/sda5 conv=sync,noerror | gzip -9 > /home/myusername/.System-Root-Partition-Image.img.gz And now I need my backup and I can't figure out how to restore it. I figured I would need to do the reverse of what I did before. So from a liveusb I tried: Code: sudo dd if=/media/e7e88e65-92e8-481e-bdf6-a52d1367dfa6/myusername/.System-Root-Partition-Image.img.gz of=/dev/sda5 It didn't work. (the image is on in my home folder. I have my homefolder backed externally) What do I do now? Please help
    couldnt have said it better myself

Beans
    Distro

The graphical utility gives an error "An error occurred while extracting files"
    EDIT: I had tried the graphical utility earlier, and because it came back with an error I thought the file was corrupt.
    I tried it the command line way: ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo gzip -d /media/e7e88e65-92e8-481e-bdf6-a52d1367dfa6/myusername/.System-Root-Partition-Image.img.gz
    No errors, seems like it worked!
    Now I'll run
    Code:
    sudo dd if=/media/e7e88e65-92e8-481e-bdf6-a52d1367dfa6/myusername/.System-Root-Partition-Image.img of=/dev/sda5
    I'll see how it goes.. seems to be working so far ..... we'll see...
    Last edited by jonnyboysmithy; July 30th, 2012 at 02:31 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyboysmithy View Post
    I made a backup using:
    Code:
    sudo dd bs=15M if=/dev/sda5 conv=sync,noerror | gzip -9 > /home/myusername/.System-Root-Partition-Image.img.gz
    And now I need my backup and I can't figure out how to restore it.
    I figured I would need to do the reverse of what I did before. So from a liveusb I tried:
    Code:
    sudo dd if=/media/e7e88e65-92e8-481e-bdf6-a52d1367dfa6/myusername/.System-Root-Partition-Image.img.gz of=/dev/sda5
    It didn't work.
    (the image is on in my home folder. I have my homefolder backed externally)

What do I do now?
    Please help
    I dont think you should use dd to back up your disk. DD command will copy unused bytes which in return increase your back file. I think clonzilla is a better option
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans
    Distro

I used rsync to pre-task execute a script that makes an system image in my /home and then clone my home folder to my external. So it was plug in and click start. Really easy.
    Maybe I can use rsync instead of dd?
    It seems you have to boot of a live system to use clonezilla ....I don't like having to reboot .

I was quiet happy with the ddrescue. The backup file is only 5GB (the script I use zeros the empty space). I had trouble with extracting it earlier(I think it was because I ran out of disk space ). It extracts to 21GB.

SOLVED
    Its all working as is should now Bring out that popcorn!!
    Last edited by jonnyboysmithy; July 30th, 2012 at 06:34 AM.