Thread: Need help understanding gtkpod

Beans

Exclamation Need help understanding gtkpod

I see a lot of threads about iPods and iPhones, etc, but I haven't yet seen one that addresses the kind of questions I have.

I have installed and configured gtkpod. I have successfully mounted my iPod. I have followed the gtkpod documentation to import the music from the iPod to a local directory. But, the import is only partial in at least two ways:

1) My iPod (an iPod Video, 30GB) has 1088 songs on it. After running the import, my directory on my hard disk has only 992 files. Why aren't all of the songs imported?

2) Then, I click on the "Music Library" and there is nothing in it. That seems pretty stupid. So, I hunt around and find that I can add the directory to the Music library. I do so, and the Music Library gets only 179 songs. What on earth is going on?

In summary, gtkpod does not seem to do a very good job of what it is supposed to do (managing the iPod's music library). It doesn't import but a little over half of the music on my iPod, and of what it did import, it only puts about 20% into its local Music Library repository.

What am I missing? What good is gtkpod if I cannot manage all the songs?

Tim

PS - Here is an old thread that hints at a similar problem, but I'm not sure it was exactly the same. The thread died with no solution.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1910343
    Last edited by ratcheer; July 29th, 2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Added PS
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

Red face Re: Need help understanding gtkpod

Sorry, I must have had a brain fart. 992 out of 1088 songs is a lot more than half. But still, it didn't import all of them.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

Unhappy Re: Need help understanding gtkpod

Here is what is happening with it only bringing 179 of 992 songs into the Music Library. The 179 are all mp3 files, while the other 813 are m4a's.

So, gtkpod does not handle m4a's, Apples iTunes native filetype. That makes gtkpod totally useless. I guess I will have to uninstall it and look for another solution.

Tim

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Need help understanding gtkpod

Did you install an m4a codec? It might be included in the Ubuntu Restricted Extras.

I'm currently playing an m4a in Movie Player, using Linux Mint 13 with Cinnamon. I couldn't find a free one to download, so I used Sound Converter to create one.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    ... So, gtkpod does not handle m4a's, Apples iTunes native filetype...

Hi
    With gtkpod, use
    Edit > Preferences > Installed Plugins
    Make sure that "M4A File Type Plugin" is ticked.

I can add alac m4a files into the Music Library and play them with the built-in player.
    I can add them to my iPod, but it won't play them because it's only a Shuffle.

Using gtkpod-2.1.3~967887e compiled from git.
    And Precise Pangolin-12.04

Beans

Exclamation Re: Need help understanding gtkpod

Quote Originally Posted by ron999 View Post
    With gtkpod, use
    Edit > Preferences > Installed Plugins
    Make sure that "M4A File Type Plugin" is ticked.
    Thanks, I tried that. Now, when I try to add the m4a files to the Music Library, gtkpod crashes:

*** buffer overflow detected ***: gtkpod - terminated
    gtkpod: buffer overflow attack in function <unknown> - terminated
    Tim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Try rhythmbox or Amarok, gtkpod seems very unstable lately.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    ... gtkpod crashes...
    Look here ---> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2033751