Thread: Merging sound and image files into video

Beans

Merging sound and image files into video

Yeah, it's me again with a different kind of problem

I have the need to create a video file by putting together a music file I recorded and put image files on top of it as a kind of a slide show. I've already tried using WinFF and OpenShot and neither will work, as the file types I have to work with are wav and jpg.

OpenShot only wants to work with PNG files, so I'm a bit stumped. Any ideas??

I know I could make this with Windows Movie Maker, but I completely abhor using Windows, which is why I come to you great people here.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Merging sound and image files into video

Try imagination from the repos. It looks as if it works on all image file types, though I admit I've so far only used it for jpg files from my camera.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

Thanks, I'll give that a go

Beans

No, it's exceedingly difficult to get a video editor that works for you so keep the one that works and that you are familiar with.

Just convert the .jpg files to .pngs. There are lots of ways to do it. The way I would do it is to use ImageJ. That's not necessarily the simplest or most efficient way, but it's what I happen to have on my computer, and it works. Just open the .jpg and save as .png.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaMozilla View Post
    Just convert the .jpg files to .pngs. There are lots of ways to do it. The way I would do it is to use ImageJ. That's not necessarily the simplest or most efficient way, but it's what I happen to have on my computer, and it works. Just open the .jpg and save as .png.
    One at a time? Sounds like too much work for me. Remember, laziness can be a virtue (or easily confused for a desire for efficiency):

Using graphicsmagick:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install graphicsmagick
    cd my-jpg-images
    gm mogrify -format png *.jpg
    Using imagemagick:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install imagemagick
    cd my-jpg-images
    mogrify -format png *.jpg
    Graphicsmagick is usually faster then imagemagick in my experience, but they're both good.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Kdenlive as an editor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

and one more vote for kdenlive drag pictures [any format] in and stretch to the duration you seek and add your music and export in pristine mkv. haaaa
    Last edited by shantiq; October 30th, 2012 at 10:36 AM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu community ... exchanging tips to make things better .... The World should take heed :]
    ShanArt

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by redaxe90 View Post
    I've already tried using ... OpenShot and neither will work, as the file types I have to work with are wav and jpg.

OpenShot only wants to work with PNG files...
    Wait, what? OpenShot only work with PNG files and won't allow you to import JPGs? Sorry but that's just pure nonsense. OpenShot imports JPG files just fine. I don't think it's an OpenShot issue at all.
    Give a man a ghoti, and he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to ghoti, and he'll eat for life.

Beans

Indeed it is nonsense. I just tried it. There's no problem whatsoever.

Maybe there's a library missing. Missing non-free codecs?
    Last edited by VanillaMozilla; October 30th, 2012 at 09:18 PM.