Thread: Full Screen video lag?

Beans

Full Screen video lag?

Intel i3 Sandy Bridge
    4GB RAM
    Zotac Ion Gt218 graphics card
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit

I have a dual boot computer with windows 7 and ubuntu. When i want to watch video from either a live stream or a youtube video, it lags horribly when i go full screen. Not like 60fps down to 30fps, more like 30fps to 20 frames a minute. It is completely unwatchable.

Normally i would think my graphics card is too weak or doesn't have the latest drivers. Nope, drivers are up to date. I tried the ones the system found on the setup, i tried the ones straight from NVIDIA, i also tried the one that showed up under additional drivers menu.

The kicker is when i boot into windows 7, there is no lag. Why does the Ubuntu (and previously Linux Mint) side of the my computer lag on full screen video?
    Last edited by bdfull3r; July 29th, 2012 at 04:19 AM. Reason: My grammar takes a nose dive when im run sleep deprivation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Full Screen video lag?

Did you do the most recent updates for flash?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mscout2004 View Post
    Did you do the most recent updates for flash?
    Yes Flash is up to date, but its not just a flash related issue. HTML5 video lags at full screen as well on Ubuntu but not on my Windows side

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

First, Adobe Flash Player on Linux/Ubuntu isn't HWA(Hardware Acceleration) enable. In short, it doesn't use your GPU to help with processing work like on Windows. No matter what GPU you're using, NVIDIA or AMD/ATI. So, Flash on Linux == SLOW.

Secondly, all web browsers on Linux/Ubuntu also effect with the same issue, your GPU is there, driver installed, but it just doesn't do a thing. While in Windows it's HWA enabled on all browsers >>> IE9, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera(not by default).

I don't know for sure that HTML5 video in the browser has anything to do with HWA. Currently, only Opera 12 for Linux can use HWA feature, but it isn't enabled by default. I'm using it for a while now, still didn't found any bug.

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog...on-in-opera-12