Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Installing Ubuntu on Dell with No Linux Experience

Beans

Re: Installing Ubuntu on Dell with No Linux Experience

Quote Originally Posted by pcfast View Post
    What about PuppyLinux?
    PuppyLinux is an excellent Distro, I manged to get an ancient thinkpad working very smoothly (until the HD failed)

Beans

Re: OpenOffice

Quote Originally Posted by levlaz View Post
    Yes all of the files are compatible, same goes for Abiword and Gnumeric -- thats the beauty of open standards it does not matter what you use it all works and looks the same.
    Open source rocks!

Beans

Question Booting with Disc

I burned a Disc with Bodhi, but can't get Dell to boot off it. Is there a way to check whether the files downloaded correctly and burned correctly?

Beans

Re: Booting with Disc

Here is what happens, I press F12 then select to boot from the Disc, it then goes to a black screen, then the Windows XP loads from the HD.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or what I need to do?

-Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Are you burning the disk as an image or as a set of files? You need to burn the discs at a slow speed as an image.

Beans

Yes I did it as an Image. I also did a slow burn.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

One of the issues I've run into is that the default video card driver for Ubuntu 12.04 as well as other recent Linux distros doesn't support my antique Geforce4 4200 Go video card. To make things more interesting, Nvidia dropped support for their proprietary nvidia-96 driver for Ubuntu 12.04 & Linux. This isn't really a Linux issue, the video card manufacturers just are not very accomodating as far as releasing info to support their video cards.

Without knowing your video card, you may just have to try several different Linux distros - including some older ones like Ubuntu 11.10 or 11.04 to find support for your video card if that is an issue. That may be a reason you are not booting from Live-CD.

Live-CD or Live-USB is your friend. I would attempt to make sure my hardware will boot the Live version before I attempt an install.

Once you find a Linux distro that will boot a Live-CD, then you can decide what works for you and what you want to install.

Of course take my advice as with all others with a grain of salt; YMMV.
    System76 Serval Pro 7: Ubuntu 14.04; Dell Latitude D800: Lubuntu 14.04; Zotac Z-Box ID45: Mythbuntu 14.04 with MythTV 0.27

Ubuntu problems? http://www.googlubuntu.com/

Beans

I don't think this old Dell can read DVD's. I guess I will try installing with a USB drive.
    Last edited by pcfast; August 14th, 2012 at 04:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My 2002 Dell Latitude D800 notebook can read & write CD's but DVD's are read-only unless I use an external DVD burner. I had to update to a newer version of the BIOS to be able to boot from USB; the factory-supplied BIOS wasn't able to do that.

That may be an issue you'll run into.
    System76 Serval Pro 7: Ubuntu 14.04; Dell Latitude D800: Lubuntu 14.04; Zotac Z-Box ID45: Mythbuntu 14.04 with MythTV 0.27

Ubuntu problems? http://www.googlubuntu.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

If you are going to test a lot of different Live distros from a pendrive, you might find this useful:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-mu...t-usb-creator/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast