Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP 210- after hibernate, computer won't start

Beans

HP 210- after hibernate, computer won't start

I'm new to Linux, so sorry if I mess up some terminology. I've looked all over google and can't come up with anything.

I'm running xubuntu 12.04 on HP mini 210. I clicked "hibernate" from the menu (where you click your username) and the screen went blank, with te backlight on. I closed the lid (system is set to suspend when lid shuts, if that matters). Went to resume this morning, and it won't boot up. The computer appears to start (I can h.ear the hard drive whiz) but nothing appears on the screen- it doesn't even light up. I put in a new screen figuring maybe that was the problem, but it's still the same. Is there a such thing as bricking your harddrive? because I'm pretty sure that's the equivelent of what I did. I tried unplugging and leaving the battery out for a couple hours, but that didn't work either.

I never turned on hibernate like I've read that you have too. The option was there, so I clicked it.

Thanks for any help

Edit: As a side note, I can plug on usb devices and they recognize they are plugged in (my droid 2 and sansa fuze both say connected)
    Last edited by ftkatyowser; July 28th, 2012 at 02:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: HP 210- after hibernate, computer won't start

The first thing that I would suggest trying would be to unplug the power cord from the laptop and then remove the battery. Next hold down the power button for 30 seconds then proceed to plug in the power cord with the battery remaining out. Push the power button and verify the PC turns on. If not, let me know the results.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daslinkard View Post
    The first thing that I would suggest trying would be to unplug the power cord from the laptop and then remove the battery. Next hold down the power button for 30 seconds then proceed to plug in the power cord with the battery remaining out. Push the power button and verify the PC turns on. If not, let me know the results.
    The hard drive is spinning, and the light on the power switch is on, but the hard drive indicator light is not blinking. No screen response

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ftkatyowser View Post
    The hard drive is spinning, and the light on the power switch is on, but the hard drive indicator light is not blinking. No screen response
    Do you hear any kind of clicking noise when the PC tries to boot up?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

try just using suspend instead of hibernate.

more on the hibernate issue:

http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/04/h...efault-in.html

http://www.howtogeek.com/113923/how-...-ubuntu-12.04/
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post
    try just using suspend instead of hibernate.

more on the hibernate issue:

http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/04/h...efault-in.html

http://www.howtogeek.com/113923/how-...-ubuntu-12.04/
    Which I'll do as soon as I can boot the os.

Beans

Oops. Double post
    Last edited by ftkatyowser; July 28th, 2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Double post

Beans
    Distro

When you have the power cord plugged in does this light up or is it not lit either?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ftkatyowser View Post
    Oops. Double post
    Quote Originally Posted by daslinkard View Post
    When you have the power cord plugged in does this light up or is it not lit either?
    That's lit. It's orange atm because it's charging the battery. If I take the battery out it turns white.

Beans
    Distro

Personally I believe it is the HD....I've seen where other people have had the same issue and they have suggested taking the entire PC apart, disconnecting all components, reassembling and then rebooting. In one forum there was a person jumping through all kinds of hoops to find out it was the HD that went bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast