Thread: Debian Sid Forums / News Site

Beans
    Hidden!

Debian Sid Forums / News Site

Does anyone know a good forum or website for Debian Sid annoucements. I am experimenting with Sid and so far things are going well. I'd like to know where is the best place to go for heads up on known bad updates and for information and assistance should my install roll onto it's back with it's legs in the air.

Cheers,
    TK

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Debian Sid Forums / News Site

I have been using Debian Squeeze for a while and am finding there are not many users in the forums I have seen out there.
    Mainly I end up googling most everything. It seems to be the less user friendly OS I have used yet.
    I had to find a way to build apt-add-repository and ppa-purge as they are not available through any source.

Also getting updates is very hit or miss. I have to enter sudo apt-get update 6-7 times before it completes successfully.

It came with Iceweasel version 3 something. It took me a while to obtain Firefox version 12.
    I tried several times to get the repository added for Firefox stable upgrades and was never able to do it.
    I did manage to get 2 conkys going along with cairo dock, compiz, emerald window manager and CCSM installed after much trial and error.
    Good luck.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    I have been using Debian Squeeze for a while and am finding there are not many users in the forums I have seen out there.
    Mainly I end up googling most everything. It seems to be the less user friendly OS I have used yet.
    I had to find a way to build apt-add-repository and ppa-purge as they are not available through any source.

Also getting updates is very hit or miss. I have to enter sudo apt-get update 6-7 times before it completes successfully.

It came with Iceweasel version 3 something. It took me a while to obtain Firefox version 12.
    I tried several times to get the repository added for Firefox stable upgrades and was never able to do it.
    I did manage to get 2 conkys going along with cairo dock, compiz, emerald window manager and CCSM installed after much trial and error.
    Good luck.
    I haven't found any dedicated forums that come close to as lively as these but my perception of Squeeze is quite the contrast to yours.

I have used Squeeze on and off for a while and never had any issues, aside from the relatively old packages. For Iceweasel I used the instructions found here: http://mozilla.debian.net/

I am using Sid with XFCE desktop because I really can't get along with Gnome3. XFCE is actually impressing me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherMuggle View Post
    I haven't found any dedicated forums that come close to as lively as these but my perception of Squeeze is quite the contrast to yours.

I have used Squeeze on and off for a while and never had any issues, aside from the relatively old packages. For Iceweasel I used the instructions found here: http://mozilla.debian.net/

I am using Sid with XFCE desktop because I really can't get along with Gnome3. XFCE is actually impressing me.
    Thanks for the link. I think I got that error about no GPG key and that is why I had to create the ppa-purge command. But, I'll take another look.
    I tried Ubuntu 12.04 with XCFE which I guess turned it into Xubuntu and all I had were problems with it. It kept getting worse and worse.
    I installed the plain Ubuntu 12.04 over that but, I mainly use Classic Gnome and it is not a whole lot different from Lucid Lynx 10.04, which I still have as my main Linux OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Thanks for the link. I think I got that error about no GPG key and that is why I had to create the ppa-purge command. But, I'll take another look.
    I tried Ubuntu 12.04 with XCFE which I guess turned it into Xubuntu and all I had were problems with it. It kept getting worse and worse.
    I installed the plain Ubuntu 12.04 over that but, I mainly use Classic Gnome and it is not a whole lot different from Lucid Lynx 10.04, which I still have as my main Linux OS.
    try this place : http://www.debianuserforums.org

people here are less numerous, but very helpful, all questions get answered, and are more friendly than on forums.debian.net.

+ it has a community cafe like subforum
    "Sometimes you just have to pee in the sink." - Charles Bukowski

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thanks! It looks great!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin