Thread: 2012 Ratel Performance PC sales question

Beans

2012 Ratel Performance PC sales question

Hi,

I have some product/sales questions about the new Ratel Performance desktop regarding post-sales user upgrade.

How many empty RAM slots are there on the motherboard if I wanted to upgrade the memory later myself (when hopefully prices have come down for the 8 GB stick)? Or would I have to discard the installed RAM to upgrade?

Does the PC come with the bezel pictured for an optical drive even if I don't order a DVD drive? If Linux ever gets better Blue-Ray support, I would want to install a Blue-Ray drive. Since the PC also has an option for internal SD, maybe this PC comes with a different case depending on the option chosen?

For upgrading or adding drives, what are the internal bay sizes (3.5 in or 2.5 in) for the first drive and the second drive?

Will any of the above mentioned upgrades void the warranty: memory, optical drive, storage drive?

I know this is subjective, but is it difficult to upgrade any of the above-mentioned parts because of the small case size? I can imagine that perhaps quite a bit of dis-assembly is required to reach some of the parts.

I am not sure that my intended use has much effect on my general desire to have the flexibility of upgrading. Nevertheless, fyi my intended use for this system would be:
    software development (java/android), web development (apache, php, ruby-on-rails), database server, source code repository, in addition to typical use for word processing, email, web browsing, image software (gimp).

BTW, I am posting in this forum so that other people have the benefit of a response on upgrading this model. Obviously, I could have just called the sales number.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 2012 Ratel Performance PC sales question

Quote Originally Posted by mevun View Post
    How many empty RAM slots are there on the motherboard if I wanted to upgrade the memory later myself (when hopefully prices have come down for the 8 GB stick)? Or would I have to discard the installed RAM to upgrade?
    There are only two slots. They are full-sized 240-pin slots.

Does the PC come with the bezel pictured for an optical drive even if I don't order a DVD drive? If Linux ever gets better Blue-Ray support, I would want to install a Blue-Ray drive. Since the PC also has an option for internal SD, maybe this PC comes with a different case depending on the option chosen?
    The CD bezel pictured is only included if you order an optical drive. We use a standard blank bezel if don't order the optical drive. The card reader gets mounted in the optical drive bay, and in that case no bezel is included.

For upgrading or adding drives, what are the internal bay sizes (3.5 in or 2.5 in) for the first drive and the second drive?
    There are four total internal hard drive slots. There are two 3.5 in. slots and two 2.5 in. slots. Keep in mind that there are only four total SATA ports on the motherboard, and only two are SATA III.

Will any of the above mentioned upgrades void the warranty: memory, optical drive, storage drive?
    Not necessarily. We obviously couldn't cover the upgraded parts under warranty, but every else would be good, as long as the upgrades aren't the cause of the problem.

I know this is subjective, but is it difficult to upgrade any of the above-mentioned parts because of the small case size? I can imagine that perhaps quite a bit of dis-assembly is required to reach some of the parts.
    Everything you mentioned except for the optical drive is fairly easy, particularly the hard drives. The Optical drive requires removing both side panels to mount properly, and the motherboard is mounted to one of them, so care should be taken.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Thanks for the answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the answers.
    No problem!
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!