Thread: Missing data, after running remastersys

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Arrow Solid state drive appeared out of nowhere in disk utility after running remastersys??

I'll start at the begining.

I installed remastersys, and added my username in the gui, and ran a "backup" in remastersys. All seemed to go fine. Nautilus told me I only have 500mb free space left on my home folder (I had over 70gb free space), but the space is back now (remastersys must been using a huge temporary file in its working folder, I find that a bit odd).

I leave it to do its thing, later that after noon I come back to my computer and I find its off (why? I certainly didn't shut it down.).
    Maybe it powered off because it over heated? At times it was running 100% cpu usage @ 70-80celsuis (its an intel i5 2410m).
    So I boot it and login to find that many files are missing?? Really weird.
    Also nautilus's bookmarks aren't in the usual order (corrupted or missing config files?).

I have a backup of my home folder and a partition image of my install, so things should be ok, but I'm really puzzled as to how this could have happened.

If I can't find my missing files I'll restore from my backup which is just a copy of my home folder on a ntfs drive.
    I tried to restore my homefolder but I needed to set the correct file permissions which I'm having trouble doing as all files become owned as root because I used nautilus running as root to copy all the files.

Disk utility now thinks it has a 4.2GB solid state drive attached (????). I don't have one.
    I ran a bench mark see the screenshots.

Sorry its so long to read
    I'd really appreciate some help
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jonnyboysmithy; July 28th, 2012 at 03:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Missing data, after running remastersys

So I figured out that bookmarks like "Pictures" don't appear anymore because the whole folder is gone!! I have backup so its ok but still.. That shouldn't have happened.
    I'm just puzzled...
    EDIT: and my music folder, there were several thousand songs now theres 7...
    Last edited by jonnyboysmithy; July 27th, 2012 at 11:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Missing data, after running remastersys

I can't start firefox anymore.
    Disk utility says my hardrive is healthy.
    I tried to add a new user account so that I can login and use firefox there, but it failed to make a usergroup so it couldn't make the new user.

I think I'll just have to restore everything from my backup. :/ I'd rather not if I don't have to.

What is happening?? 0.o
    Last edited by jonnyboysmithy; July 28th, 2012 at 03:15 AM.