Thread: A Follow Up to First Bug Report...Crash Issues related to Screen Brightness

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question A Follow Up to First Bug Report...Crash Issues related to Screen Brightness

A few days ago I started having problems with Ubuntu 12.04 on my Samsung laptop. I've not had any similar problems when I was running 11.10, on a dual boot on the same computer. I posted a Help thread on the Laptops and Hardware forum; there were 77 views and no responses. Then I submitted my first bug report, and checked it as a potential security flaw.

So now I did a re-install bc my machine became useless. As I was editing my system settings, I went to the power settings, and began to move the 'level of brightness' bar (right above the box that says "check to dim screen"). Again, my computer froze, briefly. I quit playing with it, my new install still seems to be working, and I am trying to move that brightness level thingy back to default so it won't screw me up.

As I am still a new linux user, possibly a yellow belt, I am not sure what sort of timeline to expect on a fix/patch/response to my bug report. Now that my new install has created a similar problem, I am convinced the bug is somehow related to the screen adjustment/power saving settings.

Do I need to add anything to my original bug report? When can I expect any sort of response, if any at all? Since I feel like we are all in this together, I would very much appreciate any advice on how to deal with this sort of issue as a new linux user; by which I mean my responsibilities to reporting, what to expect, what to do to further research the problem, and so on. For instance, is there a way to determine if this is a problem unique to my Samsung machine? etc.

I appreciate any response, and I know this is a fairly long post. But please bare with me, I am eager to become a regularly contributing member of the Ubuntu community.

ORIGINAL PROBLEM - My screen began to flicker, and the sound bar that appears in the upper right part of the desktop screen became a continuous presence, and my machine would freeze. No apps would run, I could not shutdown, etc. For a short time, by rebooting, I would get a working OS. After a day or so, I would no longer be able to run any programs. Following that period, I would have the same symptoms but began to have limited access to the internet and other programs.

THANKS! AND PLEASE, SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THE HECK WAS GOING ON, IN TERMS OF COMMUNITY REPORTING OF BUGS, IF THIS SORT OF THING HAPPENS OFTEN ENOUGH, THE EXACT FORUMS TO SEARCH THROUGH, WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN I RUN INTO SIMILAR PROBLEMS IN THE FUTURE, ETC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: A Follow Up to First Bug Report...Crash Issues related to Screen Brightness

Seriously?

No one can help me, or give me ANY advice?

The complete lack of input is giving me serious doubts about being a linux user. I really want to be all about it, I really want to learn and become a power user, but what the heck?

Beans

I'd love a fix for this also... Im not updating the kernel because of this bug

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by Alcidious View Post
    Do I need to add anything to my original bug report?
    Can you post a link to it?

Beans

I think the days of Linus are being numbered if this is the way it is heading to. I too am having this brightness issues freezing my system since the last kernel update. The worst thing is that it starts to do the brightness adjustment all by itself and freezes my system. The 'colord' issue has already been causing me lots of pains.

What on earth is going on?