Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Valve's Newell: Windows 8 "catastrophe" driving Valve to embrace Linux

Beans

Re: Valve's Newell: Windows 8 "catastrophe" driving Valve to embrace Linux

I'm kinda liken the skip a version technique with regards to Microsoft products 98, skip, WinXP, skip, Win7, skip.....
    AMD 64 3000+, 2G RAM, ASUS K8N , XFX GS7800, Linux Mint 9 , WinXP(dual boot/seperate HD)

Stalker's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving how much the United States sucks approaches one.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Nixarter View Post
    Exactly. Microsoft is making billions and they are getting greedy. They are thinking, why should we charge people money for the OS... when we can charge them money for the OS and every program they put on their computer, and all that while driving out competition by turning the whole system into a monopoly?

They are effectively saying, OK... we get it. We lost. So we are going to say screw marketing and fair competition, we are just going to lock all these people out. That is (bleeped) up. Seriously.

So Linux is looking better as that doesn't seem likely (possible) to happen. I really hope this is the beginning of the end for Faildows. I was really surprised when the last employer I worked for ditched Microsoft. They use Linux and LibreOffice on their computers, company-wide. (sorry, can't say the company name). Maybe the growing trend will spread.
    I'm sorry, should we start raising our pitchforks at the Apple App Store and Google Play Store? How about the Ubuntu Software Center?

If your whole gripe is about the Windows Store that comes bundled with Windows 8, then I don't understand. A central, secure, and friendly location for users to download applications is a bad thing now?

They are not blocking anyone out. Steam is free to continue running as it always has. It just has more competition. I'm sure eventually, Steam will come out with their own Metro app as well.
    That's what she said.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AllRadioisDead View Post
    I'm sorry, should we start raising our pitchforks at the Apple App Store and Google Play Store? How about the Ubuntu Software Center?
    There's a difference between the USC and the Apple app store: The latter is the only way to install software on iOS, whereas you can compile and install software manually whenever you choose on Ubuntu - the USC is simply a more convenient method of software installation.
    There are 10 different kinds of people:
    Those who understand binary numbers
    Those who don't
    Free/open-source game development kit: http://openblox.sourceforge.net

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by DangerOnTheRanger View Post
    There's a difference between the USC and the Apple app store: The latter is the only way to install software on iOS, whereas you can compile and install software manually whenever you choose on Ubuntu - the USC is simply a more convenient method of software installation.
    We were talking about the new Microsoft Store. There's no need to drag Apple into this.
    That's what she said.

Beans
    Hidden!

If your whole gripe is about the Windows Store that comes bundled with Windows 8, then I don't understand. A central, secure, and friendly location for users to download applications is a bad thing now?

They are not blocking anyone out. Steam is free to continue running as it always has. It just has more competition. I'm sure eventually, Steam will come out with their own Metro app as well.
    We were talking about the new Microsoft Store. There's no need to drag Apple into this.
    Sound advice.

Beans

From http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18996377:

On some versions of Windows 8, it will be the only way to get downloadable software such as games.
    So what I said earlier applies to Windows 8 as well.
    There are 10 different kinds of people:
    Those who understand binary numbers
    Those who don't
    Free/open-source game development kit: http://openblox.sourceforge.net

Beans
    Hidden!

That's for the Windows 8 RT version. None of the current Windows software will work on ARM anyways.

I understand though, it is unfortunate that developers will not be able to create new software for Windows 8 ARM without going through the App store. I don't see what's stopping Gabe from creating a Steam App for the Windows 8 store though.

The retail version of Windows 8 will continue to work the same way as Windows always has though.
    Last edited by AllRadioisDead; July 27th, 2012 at 03:18 AM.
    That's what she said.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This. (And what he said before).

Microsoft is trying to create the same thing that Apple has, and make businesses have to go through them (read: skimming money from legitimate companies that actually WORK for their money).

If some think this is perfectly ethical and OK, then that's fine. I'm just saying that I don't. Personally, I think it should be illegal to lock people out and extort them into going through your new monopoly to do the same thing that they have always done. But hey, maybe it's just me.

I love Synaptic and related programs. There is no need to twist people's words for a quick jab. Is it really that important for you to defend microsoft? lol
    "I'd group the Gnome 3s, the KDE4s, the Unitys and the win8s with the same tag "Attempted to fix problems that didn't exist by breaking stuff that worked". - vexorian
    On another note, it looks like I'm back to ATI.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nixarter View Post
    This. (And what he said before).

Microsoft is trying to create the same thing that Apple has, and make businesses have to go through them (read: skimming money from legitimate companies that actually WORK for their money).

If some think this is perfectly ethical and OK, then that's fine. I'm just saying that I don't. Personally, I think it should be illegal to lock people out and extort them into going through your new monopoly to do the same thing that they have always done. But hey, maybe it's just me.

I love Synaptic and related programs. There is no need to twist people's words for a quick jab. Is it really that important for you to defend microsoft? lol
    One has a choice
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    One has a choice
    ATM, but our choices are dwindling.
    "I'd group the Gnome 3s, the KDE4s, the Unitys and the win8s with the same tag "Attempted to fix problems that didn't exist by breaking stuff that worked". - vexorian
    On another note, it looks like I'm back to ATI.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast