Thread: fonts are different and smaller

Beans

fonts are different and smaller

Okay, I installed Wine, and I'm not 100% sure if it's the cause, but I realized that I have a bunch of new fonts that I don't want, and my existing fonts look different and are smaller. I am 90% sure that it's because of Wine and the packages it comes with, so I uninstalled it from the Ubuntu Software Center, and then purged it and the files it came with from the terminal. However, my fonts are still different and smaller. It could be that it wasn't Wine (I think it was?) or that I was unsuccessful in purging ALL the files it came with. (Note: I definitely didn't zoom in or out by accident with ctrl + or ctrl -.)

Any ideas as to what happened, and/or how I can fix my fonts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: fonts are different and smaller

This has bugged me for years. I love the fonts in Linux just the way they are and I have to tiptoe around installing wine so as not to make my fonts become blocky and nearly unreadable.

I think you need to remove the packages that were automatically installed with wine as dependencies. Luckily, the wonderous package management system remembers which packages were explicitly requested as opposed to packages that were installed as dependencies. This should do the trick...

Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    After that, I think you can
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine
    to avoid them being auto-installed with wine.
    Give me Free Software or Give me Death!

Beans

Re: fonts are different and smaller

Quote Originally Posted by asmoore82 View Post
    This has bugged me for years. I love the fonts in Linux just the way they are and I have to tiptoe around installing wine so as not to make my fonts become blocky and nearly unreadable.

I think you need to remove the packages that were automatically installed with wine as dependencies. Luckily, the wonderous package management system remembers which packages were explicitly requested as opposed to packages that were installed as dependencies. This should do the trick...

Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    After that, I think you can
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine
    to avoid them being auto-installed with wine.
    Thank you!!