Thread: Buying System 76 Lemur Ultra

Beans

Buying System 76 Lemur Ultra

Hi, I'm going to buy a 14.1 Lemur Ultra, but I have some questions.

First, my work is all about coding and solving numerical equations and scanning over millions of points. Of course I don't plan to do all the heavy tasks on my laptop, but I need a powerful one, that won't stop responding while scanning due to memory or whatever, and won't heat too much.

So I made the following configurations, and I hope someone will give me an opinion about it. (Also, I want to try windows 8 when it's released, so I have a question at the end about it)

Configuration:
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit
    14.1" 720p High Definition LED Backlit Display ( 1366 x 768 )
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor ( 2.30GHz 6MB L3 Cache - 4 Cores plus Hyperthreading )
    16 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 8 GB
    512 GB Crucial M4 Series SATA III 6 Gb/s Solid State Disk Drive
    8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive
    Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Combo Module
    Lemur Ultra (lemu4) Extra Li-ION Battery - 6 Cells 48.84 WH
    Extra AC Adapter - 90 Watt - For Intel Core i7 CPU's

However, I'm worried about two things, 1. Battery life. 2. Heat. Should I expect these configurations will affect the battery life greatly, if I used the laptop for heavy duties? And should I expect heating issues? (I couldn't find reviews about heat issues in this laptop)

Finally, when I decide to install and dual boot win8 with the preloaded ubuntu. Is this a similar procedure to installing and dual booting ubuntu with windows, which I did many times? Please note I'm not planning to use virtual machines.

That's all, and thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Maien; July 26th, 2012 at 01:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Buying System 76 Lemur Ultra

Quote Originally Posted by Maien View Post
    Hi, I'm going to buy a 14.1 Lemur Ultra, but I have some questions.

First, my work is all about coding and solving numerical equations and scanning over millions of points. Of course I don't plan to do all the heavy tasks on my laptop, but I need a powerful one, that won't stop responding while scanning due to memory or whatever, and won't heat too much.

So I made the following configurations, and I hope someone will give me an opinion about it. (Also, I want to try windows 8 when it's released, so I have a question at the end about it)

Configuration:
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit
    14.1" 720p High Definition LED Backlit Display ( 1366 x 768 )
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor ( 2.30GHz 6MB L3 Cache - 4 Cores plus Hyperthreading )
    16 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 8 GB
    8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive
    Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Combo Module
    Lemur Ultra (lemu4) Extra Li-ION Battery - 6 Cells 48.84 WH
    Extra AC Adapter - 90 Watt - For Intel Core i7 CPU's

However, I'm worried about two things, 1. Battery life. 2. Heat. Should I expect these configurations will affect the battery life greatly, if I used the laptop for heavy duties? And should I expect heating issues? (I couldn't find reviews about heat issues in this laptop)

Finally, when I decide to install and dual boot win8 with the preloaded ubuntu. Is this a similar procedure to installing and dual booting ubuntu with windows, which I did many times? Please note I'm not planning to use virtual machines.

That's all, and thanks for your help.
    You can expect around 3.5-four hours of battery life, which should be pretty close regardless of your configuration. As to the heat, the Lemur stays very cool all around, so you don't need to worry about heat as long as you don't place it on a soft surface like a pillow or blanket.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Buying System 76 Lemur Ultra

Quote Originally Posted by Maien View Post
    I have heard bad things about the Crucial SSDs. Apparently, it's worth spending extra to upgrade to the Intel SSDs.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.