Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Empathy balloons difficult to read all of a sudden

Beans

Question Empathy balloons difficult to read all of a sudden

A couple of days ago I did a system update. Prior to whatever various update(s) took place, my Empathy pop up balloons looked great They use to look like this all the time:

Now when there is a light background beneath them (whenever they pop up), it now looks like this:

Here's an example when the screen background is half darker shades and half lighter:

QUESTION: How can I get my balloons back to the way they use to look like this all the time:

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Empathy balloons difficult to read all of a sudden

What did you use to change the color?
    You can have quality, price, or performance, but you can only choose two.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BoogeyOfTheMan View Post
    What did you use to change the color?
    Well, that's the problem. I didn't change the color. They take on background colors now or something.

Beans
    Distro

Theres an app called notifyosdconfig

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:leolik/leolik
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install notifyosdconfig
    That should allow you to change stuff.

Beans

Theres an app called notifyosdconfig That should allow you to change stuff.
    Thanks for the tip on the app! I finally got it installed, but it didn't solve the problem though. With that installed now though, I guess we can at least rule-out a normal situation. Here's more info to go on.

I didn't mention this in the first post, but this also happened even before I installed NotifyOSD. When I hover the mouse pointer near the bubble, it begins to take on the color it should have:

Please note though that the mouse has to be in a very special nearness to the bubble even to get it to be rendered correctly... Too close to the bubble and I have the same problem as follows

When the mouse pointer is not close to the bubble,is when the bubble is not being rendered as it should:

And here's how the balloon still appears one a white background (no matter the NotifyOSD settings as well):

NotifyOSD Install Note: [I]I followed your code instructions, but the install didn't work. I did manage to get it installed though by going here though, for anyone interested in installing NotifyOSD.
    Last edited by digitalattorney; July 25th, 2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: added another visual

Beans

UPDATE: If I use Ubuntu 2D it works perfectly, just as it should. I don't believe that remaining in Ubuntu 2D is the option I want to stay with though...

In general, I hear there have been a lot of issues with nVidia graphics cards I hear...I have a GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M/integrated/SSE2/3DNOW!, being used in a HP DV9620us laptop.

AND

I don't have the problem in the Gnome Classic shell!
    (which I think I may like even better, having now tried it since this issue.)
    Last edited by digitalattorney; July 26th, 2012 at 12:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I wasnt sure if that would fix it, but it was worth a shot.

It appears as though your top panel is semi-transparent, I wonder if that is effecting the NOSD. I too am having odd NOSD issues at the moment, except mine is just white with black text and nothing I do seems to change it. I had used NOSDconfig to change the color to match my theme a little better, then all of the sudden after a few days of working perfectly, the NOSD is white, no transperancy, with black text.

I may have to try giving classic gnome a shot. And Unity was actually starting to grow on me

Keep the thread updated if you discover a fix for your issue please. Maybe one of use will figure something out that helps the other.

Beans

Maybe one of use will figure something out that helps the other.

Beans

My workaround for now:

1. I'm logged into and using the Gnome Classic shell.

2. I enabled Unity features in the CompizConfig

http://screencloud.net/v/ipdJ

3. So I'm using the Gnome Classic shell with Unity features. The notofications work great... ADDED BONUS (at least for me): I also like the open applications at the bottom of my screen, which the new Unity interface does not incorporate. It allows me to see what apps are open on my desktop with a single look (no mouse movement, key como, etc.)... Invaluable.

http://screencloud.net/v/sKtn

- All the best.

P.S. Screencloud is a pretty cool little screen capture program that I used to take those screenshots. The screen capturing is a bit different in Gnome or I haven't figured it out, but one of my apps (Shutter) doesn't work in it, so it seems.... Anyway, Screencloud is really simple and offers online storage.
    Last edited by digitalattorney; July 26th, 2012 at 01:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro

That looks great. I'm currently using Cario-dock to keep track of my open windows at the bottom, but its kind of buggy.

I just use the screenshot tool that comes with gnome. I have to scrub out my IP address before I share, so I might as well keep it local.

Heres a pic of mine with the cairo-dock. I think I'm gonna see if I cant get the classic gnome look back now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast