Thread: Reboot Freeze

Beans

Question Reboot Freeze

Ubuntu Members,

Good morning, everyone. I am new to the forums and Linux/Ubuntu. I downloaded and replaced Windows Vista on a Dell Desktop. I love the ease of use and I have a question.

I have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (replaced windows vista)and on reboot it freezes on the nice purple Ubuntu screen. It doesn't do it on reset or shutdown, just during reboot. How do I go about repairing the problem? Thanks in advance for your advance help. Have a great day.

Kind Regards,

Dr. Q. Krispen

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Reboot Freeze

as the Dell users are not a little a dedicated sub forum is maintained for those users

maybe your need to test some boot option : google around "ubuntu boot option"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Can you elaborate a little bit more on your hardware (processor, RAM, graphics card) and what graphics driver you are using? Did you look into the system log whether there is a difference between shutdown and reboot? There may be error messages in the system log which may help to diagnose the problem.

Beans

Question Re: Reboot Freeze

Ubuntu Members,

As soon as I figure out how to check the RAM, Processor, and Graphic Card I will get back to you and I have no idea how to access the system log.

Kind Regards,
    Dr. Q. Krispen

Beans
    Distro

As of yesterday I started having a problem where my screen sort of flicker and freezes, and the sound bar in the upper right corner won't go away. it freezes my computer, and I'm not sure what to do either. however I submitted a bug report to the launched bug team, and hopefully they will I'd the prob and send out a patch. there r a number of ways to access your SS log, through a terminal command. I did ubuntu-bug report in terminal last night, but it didn't actually display the due log to me, though it was appended to my report. anywAY, just Google "checking SS log in ubuntu" and u should find what u r looking for. sorry sys not SS

Beans
    Distro

There is an application entry for viewing the system log (open the hud menu and search for log or system).
    Checking the RAM can be done, for example, from a liveCD. These usually have an entry in their boot menu for memtest.

Beans

Question Re: Reboot Freeze

Ubuntu Members,

My computer is a Dell Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz × 2, VESA: RV620 Graphic card, 32 Bit with 155 GB.

I hope this can help you determine my problem.

Kind Regards,
    Dr. Q. Krispen

Beans

2F4U are you around?