Thread: Clonezilla HDD install corrupts grub?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Clonezilla HDD install corrupts grub?

Hi, following previous successful use of clonezilla live on a usb stick, I decided to try creating a recovery partition on my hard-drive.

So, I attempted to follow the solution for adding Clonezilla to a separate partition on my HDD (as at clonezilla.org/livehd.php) but somethings messed up somewhere.

Now when I try to boot, there's no grub prompt, it goes straight(!) to Clonezilla but this is broken!! It's looking for the directory "live", which was renamed "live-hd", as per the instructions.

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 (on /dev/sda1) with legacy grub and clonezilla 1.2.12-67 is on /dev/sda3.

Why is it there's no grub prompt? Why does it boot straight to Clonezilla?

It seems that *maybe* the boot sector has become corrupt. Maybe it's due to a restriction on length of entries in "/boot/grub/menu.lst"?

Here's the excerpts from my grub menu.lst:
    Code:
    title             Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS, kernel 2.6.24-32-generic 
    root             (hd0,0) 
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-32-generic  root=UUID=18e08f49-681b-495b-8fa6-55bfbd534918 ro quiet splash 
    initrd            /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-32-generic 
    quiet
    Code:
    title              Clonezilla live on harddrive 
    root               (hd0,3) 
    kernel            /live-hd/vmlinuz boot=live live-config noswap nolocales edd=on  nomodeset ocs_live_run="ocs-live-general" ocs_live_extra_param=""  ocs_live_keymap="" ocs_live_batch="no" ocs_lang="" vga=788 ip=frommedia  nosplash live-media-path=/live-hd bootfrom=/dev/sda3  toram=filesystem.squashfs  
    initrd /live-hd/initrd.img 
    boot
    Any help gratefully received

Beans
    Distro

Re: Clonezilla HDD install corrupts grub?

Would it be a fair guess to say that the last line in the second code excerpt from "/boot/grub/menu.lst" needs modified? (i.e. is "boot" a switch that means the OS will always boot from this setting?)

Any thoughts?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Clonezilla hard-drive install corrupts grub?

I ran a boot repair disk and generated a boot info log. Here's a piece of that:

Code:
    sda3: __________________________________________________________________________ 

File system:       vfat     Boot sector type:  FAT32     Boot sector info:  According to the info in the boot sector, sda3 starts                         at sector 0. But according to the info from fdisk,                         sda3 starts at sector 51838976.     Operating System:       Boot files:        /syslinux/syslinux.cfg
    The full log is at:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/1108454/

Can anyone shed any light?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Clonezilla hard-drive install corrupts grub?

bump