Thread: Gnome-shell automatically switched to gnome-classic on netbook

Beans

Gnome-shell automatically switched to gnome-classic on netbook

I have just got a new netbook and decided to do a clean install of Ubuntu 12.04, I then proceeded to install the gnome shell. I really want to use the gnome desktop environment and it's she'll extensions and the unity bar with Ubuntu takes up too much space on the screen.

When I am at the log in screen I have 5 options, GNOME, GNOME Classic, GNOME Classic(No Effects), Ubuntu, and Ubuntu 2D.

Everytime I select GNOME and log it, I always get the GNOME classic look. No matter which option I try, all the GNOME options give me the GNOME Classic desktop environment.

Because of this, I am unable to actually download the extensions that I want!

Can anyone help please?

Beans

Re: Gnome-shell automatically switched to gnome-classic on netbook

Okay, i managed to figure out what the problem was. the netbook i am using uses intel GMA 3650 graphics, and no linux disto has support for that except Fedora.

So i have promply uninstalled ubuntu and installed Fedora!, All Gnome 3 Shell extensions work fine now (the ones i want anyway)

Beans

That is a driver issue, not a distro issue. You could have just installed the xorg edgers ppa on ubuntu and that would have likely solved your problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    That is a driver issue, not a distro issue. You could have just installed the xorg edgers ppa on ubuntu and that would have likely solved your problem.
    Thank you for this, I am finding Fedora a little too bulky on a netbook, and was hoping to switch back to Ubuntu when the driver issue was sorted out.

I shall have o give this a try, thanks.