Thread: Question About Extra Adapter

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question About Extra Adapter

Hi, a prospective customer (and a long time Ubuntu user) dropping in for a question. Can someone please explain to me what is meant by extra adapter? (listed as one of the available options for Lemur Ultra)
    Extra AC Adapter - 90 Watt - For Intel Core i7 CPU's ( + $55 )
    I know it is recommended that one opt for the 90 Watt adapter when purchasing a computer with the Intel i7, but will I get a normal adapter (presumably a 65W adapter?) alongside this extra AC adapter when I select this option? I'm just curious as I probably wouldn't want two adapters as that would just be wasteful... But if I would only receive one adapter (90 Watt), then that wouldn't exactly be an extra adapter... so I'm a bit confused.

I'm particularly interested in finding this out for Lemur Ultra.
    Last edited by areteichi; July 24th, 2012 at 12:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Question About Extra Adapter

Quote Originally Posted by areteichi View Post
    Hi, a prospective customer (and a long time Ubuntu user) dropping in for a question. Can someone please explain to me what is meant by extra adapter? (listed as one of the available options for Lemur Ultra)

I know it is recommended that one opt for the 90 Watt adapter when purchasing a computer with the Intel i7, but will I get a normal adapter (presumably a 65W adapter?) alongside this extra AC adapter when I select this option? I'm just curious as I probably wouldn't want two adapters as that would just be wasteful... But if I would only receive one adapter (90 Watt), then that wouldn't exactly be an extra adapter... so I'm a bit confused.

I'm particularly interested in finding this out for Lemur Ultra.
    Let me run through the options:

If you order a Lemur with an i5 and without the extra adapter, you will get one 65W power adapter.

If you order a Lemur with an i7 and without the extra adapter, you will get one 90W power adapter.

If you order a Lemur with an i5 and the extra 65W supply, you will get two 65W supplies.

If you order a Lemur with an i7 and the extra 90W supply, you will get two 90W supplies.

So if you order an i7, you don't need to order any accessories to get one correct power supply. If you order the extra adapter, you will get two correct power supplies.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thank you very much! It all makes sense now.

Beans

Universal travel adapter allows one to charge up his/her gears. In different countries different types of converters are used. But the universal ones are made in such a way so that people can use it anywhere, despite of which country you are heading for (100V-250V-50/60Hz). This is probably the reason why the Universal Travel Adapters are so popular.

Most of the recent universal AC adapters are of the switched-mode power supply type and will ensure you have a more reliable output voltage, even under variable load conditions. The other important point to note is that they will generally be small and light, although if you choose a laptop external power supply model with interchangeable tips, they you will have additional items to carry in your laptop bag.

important thing to consider is the availability of an overload protection like an in-built trip switch, LED displays, output stabilizer and a control device for DC. It is always better and wise to make sure that the universal charger you purchased will work with your laptop so there will be fewer hassles, less waste of money. Find How to choosing the best universal adapter at universal ac adapter