Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: if you dont want to dual boot windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: if you dont want to dual boot windows

I have one more question i cant find answer to through the links suggested. if i partition in advance and choose erase and install ubuntu when using live cd/dvd, does that mean it will not recognize the partitions i created in advance? sorry for all the noob questions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I always partition in advance. You really do not have to format at that point if you are using partition for the Linux install, but I usually do.

But you then have to use Something Else or manual install. All the autoinstalls just do their own thing, either erase entire drive, or try to repartition to share drive, or use unallocated space. I never trust the auto install and know what I want so I partition in advance.

Manual install also lets you create partitions, so you do not have to do it in advance. But it only has the LInux driver as part of the installer. So if creating a NTFS partition for Windows or a shared NTFS for shared data, you either do that in advance or leave unallocated when using the installers partition tool.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I always partition in advance. You really do not have to format at that point if you are using partition for the Linux install, but I usually do.

But you then have to use Something Else or manual install. All the autoinstalls just do their own thing, either erase entire drive, or try to repartition to share drive, or use unallocated space. I never trust the auto install and know what I want so I partition in advance.

Manual install also lets you create partitions, so you do not have to do it in advance. But it only has the LInux driver as part of the installer. So if creating a NTFS partition for Windows or a shared NTFS for shared data, you either do that in advance or leave unallocated when using the installers partition tool.
    i tried the something else option when installing with live cd/dvd and could not find a way to make to make the starting sector 1mb or 2040. my problem is that i always wind up with a start sector of 34 and that makes all the following sectors misaligned.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

okay,sorry for taking so long to get back but i have been busy. well i partitioned the hd in advance like suggested but this time during installation i chose advanced option. i didn't touch anything but clicked on install now, then it requested me to pick a partition for root and i made my choice & checked the box to format. i double checked start sector to make sure it was 1mb. when it finished installing i checked in disk utility and everything was aligned. so thanks oldfred & everyone else for your patience and help. best regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Glad that worked.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12