Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone remember Packerd Bell?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Does anyone remember Packerd Bell?

Oh yes. And at that time I had a Tandy (Radio Shack) 486sx-33. Painfully slow but we still rocked Doom modem to modem in deathmatch play!!! Within a year of me buying the weakest processing computer I could find (and that wasn't my mission!) they came out with the original Pentiums, which really made mine look like it was sitting at a stop sign while traffic blew by me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

That Navigator software took up a lot of disk space. I uninstalled all of it lol.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

My first jump from the C64 to an x86 computer was a Packard Bell. I bought it in 1995 right before Win95 came out. It had Windows 3.11 for Workgroups, but I got a free upgrade to Win95 when it came out. It was a Pentium 75Mhz, 16MB of RAM, something like 545MB hard drive, and of course a 2D only SVGA video chip. I absolutely loved that computer.

Quote Originally Posted by robtygart View Post
    No not really, it did look like that..

This would be closer

Link
    Yeah, it wasn't Microsoft Bob. The Navigator software you linked to was Packard Bell's own software. Most people didn't like it, but I loved it. I was used to C64 graphics, and Navigator really showed off the awesome new SVGA graphics.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

My first Pentium system was a Packard Bell, bought at Office Depot in 1994. Before that I had been using a semi-homebrew 386 system (started as a 286, but I replaced the mobo with a 386 unit not long after the 386 became available). I immediately installed DOS 4.0 on it, using the IBM version that came out before Microsoft released theirs, and began disassembling the o/s to find out how it differed from 3.1 (answer: quite a bit, all for the worse)...

Ah, the memories!!! Thankfully I never encountered that interface, though.
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans
    Hidden!

I rember Packerd Bell.

If I remeber correctly I baught my first home computer that was a TRS-80 in 1978. I replaced the TRS-80 with a IBM PC XT in 1987. I replaced the IBM PC XT with a Packerd Bell in 1992. I replaced the Packerd Bell in 1997 with a Toshiba Satalite Laptop.

I remember upgrading the Packerd Bell to Windows 95. That was the only Packerd Bell computer I have ever had. I do remember the Navagator; however, I didn't use it. My memory is fading a little but I don't remember it looking like the pictures posted above. I am sure it didn't look like Microsoft Bob.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; July 24th, 2012 at 01:22 AM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Gray_Wolf View Post
    My memory is fading a little but I don't remember it looking like the pictures posted above. I am sure it didn't look like Microsoft Bob.
    Yeah, that was the Packard Bell Navigator. There were several rooms in the house you could go to and do different things. I'll post another example below. They had a few different versions of Navigator, so maybe you had a newer or older version.

Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!

@forrestcupp,

You are probably right. I must have been using an older version. The version I had didn't have graphics that were that good. It didn't have shadows or reflections on the floor.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I had a packardbell running windows 95. I remember it being a horrible cheap piece of garbage.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I remember PB units are being the Antichrist of PC cases; I hated working with them.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Now running Minix2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast