Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Another Windows 7, UEFI, Grub Debacle

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    You can also download a gparted liveCD.

http://partedmagic.com/
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/faq.php

When you partition with gpt it automatically creates the backup partition table at the end of the drive. I did not have to do anything special.
    Oh, I see. That's a much better way to go. I'll use that strategy to partition.

Boy, I really had no idea how different all of this is from BIOS / MBR, and was totally unprepared! For all of the research I did on hardware for this build, I never thought to check out something as basic as drive partitioning. Definitely learned something new here!

I'll likely try this all out tonight and post back how it goes. Hopefully no hiccups!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Good luck & let us know details.

As I understand it, the way you boot the install is the way in installs. Both Windows & Ubuntu install CD/DVDs from UEFI will show two ways to boot installer, one UEFI/efi and the other BIOS/legacy/AHCI or whatever that vendor calls it.

I believe if you have both efi & bios_grub partitions, you can install grub twice once grub2 (grub-pc) to MBR and once grub-efi to efi partition and boot either way. Not sure how that may work with two drives as I do not totally understand UEFI. I also am trying to learn as I hope to build new system soon.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I found this a day or so ago it is for sony yet I it seems that the same process will work for most UEFI systems.

http://www.hackourlife.com/sony-vaio...-04-dual-boot/

Walt

Beans
    Distro

Well, work's been a bit on the hellish side, and so I've not had the chance to fully work on this until today really. But, after a few days of trial and error, I finally have a working dual boot, UEFI system! I'm hoping that a kernel upgrade does not break anything. This seems pretty stable, though.

For future people's sake, here's how I finally got it working. Note, I'm working with two hard drives here, and the instructions will likely vary for those working from just one drive. It's also worth noting that if you're working from two drives, it might be handy to unplug the Windows drive from the system to help diagnose problems. I couldn't figure out what was going wrong until I realized that I couldn't even boot Kubuntu when it was the only drive in the system. Final note is that this was with Kubuntu 12.04. Any other versions may stray from this (especially older versions). However, I was happy to learn that I was over thinking things, and that out of the box it seems that Kubuntu 12.04 (and likely Ubuntu as well) set things up well right from the start.

Anyway, here are the steps I took:

1. Make an Ubuntu (or in my case Kubuntu) .iso boot disk as usual.

2. In BIOS (if yours supports it) load the disk using UEFI mode. If you don't specifically choose to boot the .iso as UEFI, you may be installing in BIOS mode instead of UEFI, which will cause problems later. We *need* to make sure that both OSes are UEFI here or else going with the traditional BIOS approach is the best tack to take.

3. I tried as others have suggested to preformat the drive. However, I was either doing something wrong or there is a bug / glitch here and I was unable to get a stable working Kubuntu system to boot. Every time I would try to boot from a fresh install, I would get something like "Reboot and Select the Proper Boot Device" errors. The goal here is to format the drive in GPT mode (instead of the old standby MBR mode), creating a new type of /boot partition as follows (let's assume the drive is /dev/sda for this):

Code:
    Partition    Type    Mount Point    Size   Flags
    /dev/sda1    fat32    /boot/efi    200MiB  boot
    /dev/sda2    linuxswap (if you want one that is!)
    /dev/sda3    ext4    /    
    /dev/sda4    ext4    /home
    This is all assuming you want those options. Minimally, you need to have a FAT32 EFI partition at the start that is around 200MiB bit that is marked as /boot. This option was selectable for me when I chose manual partition during the Kubuntu setup. You may or may not find that pre-formatting the hard drive with a Gparted Live CD works better (which I've seen posted in several places around the net). However, with 12.04, it seems like it handled the above scheme with no problems. The rest of the partitions can be as you like following standard guidelines (if there is such a thing!).

4. During the partition phase of the installation, be sure to choose to have the boot loader installed on sda1. Just leaving it as sda didn't seem to work well for me.

5. Once the isntallation finishes, reboot the system and verify that when you choose to boot Kubuntu as UEFI it boots without problem. You may or (more likely) may not see a Grub menu before it loads the system. This is normal (even from the old days) if there were no other OSes present for Grub to present.

If you're with me to this point, then we're in the home stretch. If not, you may need to verify that you're indeed installing Kubuntu as UEFI, and that in the /boot/efi parition that you made, you see a similar file structure:

Code:
    dave@CygnusX1:/boot$ ls
    abi-3.2.0-23-generic     efi   initrd.img-3.2.0-23-generic  memtest86+_multiboot.bin     vmlinuz-3.2.0-23-generic
    config-3.2.0-23-generic  grub  memtest86+.bin               System.map-3.2.0-23-generic
    Code:
    dave@CygnusX1:/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu$ ls
    grubx64.efi
    dave@CygnusX1:/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu$
    Code:
    dave@CygnusX1:/boot/grub$ ls
    acpi.mod          datetime.mod                 gcry_twofish.mod    lsmmap.mod      parttool.lst         test_blockarg.mod
    adler32.mod       dm_nv.mod                    gcry_whirlpool.mod  ls.mod          parttool.mod         testload.mod
    affs.mod          echo.mod                     gettext.mod         lspci.mod       password.mod         test.mod
    afs_be.mod        efi_gop.mod                  gfxmenu.mod         lssal.mod       password_pbkdf2.mod  tga.mod
    afs.mod           efi_uga.mod                  gfxterm.mod         lvm.mod         pbkdf2.mod           trig.mod
    aout.mod          elf.mod                      gptsync.mod         lzopio.mod      pci.mod              true.mod
    appleldr.mod      example_functional_test.mod  grub.cfg            mdraid09.mod    play.mod             udf.mod
    ata.mod           ext2.mod                     grub.efi            mdraid1x.mod    png.mod              ufs1.mod
    ata_pthru.mod     extcmd.mod                   grubenv             memdisk.mod     probe.mod            ufs2.mod
    at_keyboard.mod   fat.mod                      gzio.mod            memrw.mod       raid5rec.mod         uhci.mod
    befs_be.mod       fixvideo.mod                 halt.mod            minicmd.mod     raid6rec.mod         usb_keyboard.mod
    befs.mod          font.mod                     hashsum.mod         minix2.mod      raid.mod             usb.mod                      
    bitmap.mod        fshelp.mod                   hdparm.mod          minix.mod       read.mod             usbms.mod                    
    bitmap_scale.mod  fs.lst                       hello.mod           mmap.mod        reboot.mod           usbserial_common.mod         
    blocklist.mod     functional_test.mod          help.mod            moddep.lst      regexp.mod           usbserial_ftdi.mod           
    boot.mod          gcry_arcfour.mod             hexdump.mod         msdospart.mod   reiserfs.mod         usbserial_pl2303.mod         
    bsd.mod           gcry_blowfish.mod            hfs.mod             multiboot2.mod  relocator.mod        usbtest.mod                  
    btrfs.mod         gcry_camellia.mod            hfsplus.mod         multiboot.mod   scsi.mod             video_bochs.mod              
    bufio.mod         gcry_cast5.mod               iorw.mod            nilfs2.mod      search_fs_file.mod   video_cirrus.mod             
    cat.mod           gcry_crc.mod                 iso9660.mod         normal.mod      search_fs_uuid.mod   video_fb.mod                 
    chain.mod         gcry_des.mod                 jfs.mod             ntfscomp.mod    search_label.mod     videoinfo.mod                
    cmp.mod           gcry_md4.mod                 jpeg.mod            ntfs.mod        search.mod           video.lst                    
    command.lst       gcry_md5.mod                 keylayouts.mod      ohci.mod        serial.mod           video.mod                    
    configfile.mod    gcry_rfc2268.mod             keystatus.mod       part_acorn.mod  setjmp.mod           videotest.mod                
    core.efi          gcry_rijndael.mod            linux.mod           part_amiga.mod  setpci.mod           xfs.mod                      
    cpio.mod          gcry_rmd160.mod              loadbios.mod        part_apple.mod  sfs.mod              xnu.mod                      
    cpuid.mod         gcry_seed.mod                loadenv.mod         part_bsd.mod    sleep.mod            xnu_uuid.mod                 
    crypto.lst        gcry_serpent.mod             locale              part_gpt.mod    squash4.mod          xzio.mod                     
    crypto.mod        gcry_sha1.mod                loopback.mod        partmap.lst     tar.mod              zfsinfo.mod                  
    cs5536.mod        gcry_sha256.mod              lsacpi.mod          part_msdos.mod  terminal.lst         zfs.mod                      
    datehook.mod      gcry_sha512.mod              lsefimmap.mod       part_sun.mod    terminal.mod                                      
    date.mod          gcry_tiger.mod               lsefisystab.mod     part_sunpc.mod  terminfo.mod                                      
    dave@CygnusX1:/boot/grub$
    Again, with just one drive in the system so that you can diagnose things, be sure that you have a working UEFI install of Kubuntu that boots without problems before going on. Until you have that, dual booting is impossible.

6. Now if you have Kubuntu booting normally as UEFI, we need to add Windows to Grub. First we need to know the UUID of its /boot/efi parition. To find out, run (after plugging the Windows drive back in that is!):

Code:
    sudo blkid
    Then look for the UUID for that partition which will be vfat and have a short, 8 character UUID instead of the long one. In my case, it was:

Code:
    dave@CygnusX1:/boot/grub$ sudo blkid
    /dev/sda1: UUID="DEEB-3A1A" TYPE="vfat" 
    /dev/sda2: UUID="b170157f-8d99-4f06-8ce2-92e8e3f44f43" TYPE="swap" 
    /dev/sda3: UUID="58702a5d-45aa-4c17-9de9-650e2d21d30e" TYPE="ext4" 
    /dev/sda4: UUID="1b1c5499-2500-4432-a049-41c93399382d" TYPE="ext4" 
    /dev/sdb1: UUID="1261-7FB0" TYPE="vfat" 
    /dev/sdb3: UUID="4ECC6BF6CC6BD6AD" TYPE="ntfs
    Since I know that the Windows drive is /dev/sdb, I know that the UUID of the Windows efi_boot partition is 1261-7FB0.

7. Add an entry to Grub to load the Windows EFI Bootloader by running:

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/grub.d/40_custom
    and add the following:

Code:
    menuentry "Windows 7" {
        insmod part_gpt
        insmod fat
        insmod search_fs_uuid
        insmod chain
        search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root 1261-7FB0
        chainloader (${root})/efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    }
    Note that where I have '1261-7FB0' in my entry, you'll want to replace that with the UUID you found in the last step.

8. Run:

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    in order to add the entry to the grub.cfg line. On my system, I didn't specifically see it add an entry for Windows when it was discovering things. I was worried this didn't work but decided to try it out anyway and rebooted. I was pleasantly surprised to see a new Windows 7 entry in Grub, which loaded without any problems.

I believe that once you add the Windows entry to grub.cfg you should see the Grub menu when you reboot. If not, then you'll want to edit /etc/default/grub and comment out the two GRUB_HIDDEN lines as such:

Code:
    #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0                                                                                                               
    #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    That will ensure that you see the Grub menu every time, without having to press 'shift' to see it.

By the way, you'll also need to make sure that your Kubuntu hard drive is the default one in the Boot order so that the system knows to load it first. Of course, if you try to have the Windows disk be the default, you'll never get to Grub and the whole thing falls apart.

Well, that's about it. After messing around with a bunch of solutions, this seems to be working quite well, and barring any unforeseen breakage from Kernel updates (which I don't think will happen), I think this is the best way to go as it offers the most flexibility without really altering the finicky and fragile Windows boot loader (which I managed to break more than once - good thing it's easy to fix with the installation DVD!).

I hope that helps someone in the future, and they don't spend nearly as much time as I did trying to figure this all out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Glad you got it working.

I think this is the first dual UEFI boot on two drives that I have seen work. Thanks.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Drmrgd, Thank You ! Deeply!

Oldfred send me to your solution and it works! I am very happy and grateful.

Just if someone read this, my active EFI partition is on the Windows Hard disk (while drmrgd has his EFI with Linux). I suppose the important point is to have the correct chain:

Configure (U)EFI to start on the correct partition the one with Grub
    Configure the Grub files to have the correct pointer in the second drive.

I hope I did not write bs

My thread : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2081220

See you!

Beans
    Distro

Wow, great! I'm glad this was able to help you, although I would think the info is a bit outdated already. Enjoy your new dual boot system. I'm certainly very much enjoying mine!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This will add the latest information into the mix now that Windows 8 machines are on the market:

http://web.dodds.net/~vorlon/wiki/bl..._Ubuntu_12.10/

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12