Thread: Another Windows 7, UEFI, Grub Debacle

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Another Windows 7, UEFI, Grub Debacle

Just set up my new system, which has UEFI enabled in the BIOS (and no obvious way to disable). I put two drives in there and would like to dual boot Windows 7 and Kubuntu as I did before. However, I can't get Grub2 to see Windows 7. I've spent the day reading forum posts, Launch Pad bug reports, and whatnot, and while I'm close, I can't quite get this to work. I can boot into each system from BIOS if I force it. Not very elegant and useful, though! I know I must be missing something really obvious, but I just can't see it. I know oldfred has been hacking away at this for some time now, hopefully he at least has a fix!

I'm attaching the results of the latest version of bootinfoscript for reference. However, the basic architecture is:

Code:
    /sda1 = /boot
    /sda2 = swap
    /sda3 = /
    /sda4 = /home

/sdb1 = EFI
    /sdb2 = Windows Reserved
    /sdb3 = Windows
    After reading a ton of posts, seems like the most obvious is to point grub to the bootmgfw.efi on the EFI partition of that drive. So, I edited /etc/grub.d/40_custom like so:

Code:
    menuentry "Windows 7" {
        search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root 1261-7FB0
        chainloader (${root})/efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    }
    However, when I run grub-update, I don't specifically see that entry in the list, and when I reboot and try to select the entry, I get a partition not found error. I'm sure that I have the correct UUID for that partition, although I did try using both (hd1,1) and (hd1,gpt1) without any success.

I did try going the other way as well (i.e. use the Windows 7 bootloader to add linux) with EasyBCD, but that doesn't seem to work either, and it looks like there is no real solution that I can see on the support forums (they basically say that even the most recent beta version is not supporting UEFI/GPT at this time).

I would forever be indebted to anyone who can point out what I'm doing wrong and help me get a reasonable boot management solution. If there's any info I left out that would be helpful, just ask!
    Attached Files Attached Files