Thread: Asus X53Z Laptop - question about compatibility with Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Asus X53Z Laptop - question about compatibility with Ubuntu

Hi,

I'm possibly interested in purchasing the Asus X53Z laptop, as follows:

http://www.ebuyer.com/351622-asus-x5...op-x53z-sx066v

This uses the AMD A6-3400 APU (incorporating the HD 6520G graphics unit on CPU).

The attraction for me is a 64-bit Quad-Core CPU (with hardware virtualization) at a competitive price: my main use would be to run Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (64-bit), plus several Virtual Machines using VirtualBox, which is why I was attracted by the quad-core CPU. It also includes a USB3 port, which is useful as I have a couple of 1Tb USB3 portable hard drives.

I'd aim to upgrade to 8Gb RAM, and probably a 1Tb internal drive in time.

Is this particular AMD APU (CPU + Graphics) likely to work ok with Ubuntu 12.04 - any known issues etc?

Does anyone have Ubuntu 12.04 running on this particular (or a similar) laptop?

I've looked at the much more expensive Intel Core i7 (also quad core) as an alternative, but almost all the new ones coming out seem to have nVidia Optimus, which I understand is not worth thinking about for use with Linux. Very few i7 laptops now seem to have just the integrated Intel (HD3000 or HD4000) graphics.

Many thanks in advance for any comments.

Kind regards,

Adam.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: Asus X53Z Laptop - question about compatibility with Ubuntu

Well, as a follow-up to my own post:

Someone has added an extra review (currently last in the list of 5) saying that this laptop works just fine with Ubuntu 12.04:

www.ebuyer.com/351622-asus-x53z-laptop-x53z-sx066v#product-reviews

So it sounds as though it should be fine.
    Looks like a good Laptop for a budget quad-core with USB3 as a bonus, hopefully should be good for running VirtualBox VMs too, especially after upgrading to 8Gb RAM & 1Tb HDD.

(I think in many other countries this model comes under Asus K53Z, not X53Z as here in the UK - why do PC manufacturers change model numbers depending on where they're sold? Makes it difficult to get information and help / ideas on international forums!)

So thread CLOSED.

Kind regards,

Adam.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Asus X53Z Laptop - question about compatibility with Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pingadam View Post
    Hi,

I'm possibly interested in purchasing the Asus X53Z laptop, as follows:

http://www.ebuyer.com/351622-asus-x5...op-x53z-sx066v

This uses the AMD A6-3400 APU (incorporating the HD 6520G graphics unit on CPU).

The attraction for me is a 64-bit Quad-Core CPU (with hardware virtualization) at a competitive price: my main use would be to run Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (64-bit), plus several Virtual Machines using VirtualBox, which is why I was attracted by the quad-core CPU. It also includes a USB3 port, which is useful as I have a couple of 1Tb USB3 portable hard drives.

I'd aim to upgrade to 8Gb RAM, and probably a 1Tb internal drive in time.

Is this particular AMD APU (CPU + Graphics) likely to work ok with Ubuntu 12.04 - any known issues etc?

Does anyone have Ubuntu 12.04 running on this particular (or a similar) laptop?

I've looked at the much more expensive Intel Core i7 (also quad core) as an alternative, but almost all the new ones coming out seem to have nVidia Optimus, which I understand is not worth thinking about for use with Linux. Very few i7 laptops now seem to have just the integrated Intel (HD3000 or HD4000) graphics.

Many thanks in advance for any comments.

Kind regards,

Adam.
    >>I have a desktop
    >>I dont have AMD processor....I have Core-i5(quad core) 64bit
    6GB RAM ,750GB Internal nd approx. 10USB 2.0 ports nd HD4350 ATI
    >>[Ubuntu works fine even on Pentium/or AMD equivalent with 512MB RAM ]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: Asus X53Z Laptop - question about compatibility with Ubuntu

Thanks Ranger,

Yes Ubuntu does work well on a wide variety of hardware, which is great: I do have a small Zotac ZBOX "nettop" as a desktop PC with an AMD E-350 Fusion APU (dual core 64-bit - and most importantly for me it has AMD-V hardware virtualization [unlike equivalent Intel Atoms], which helps a lot when running Virtual Machines in VirtualBox, especially for 64-bit guest OS's), also has 8Gb RAM and a 1Tb 2.5" HDD (and USB3 and eSATA ports for excellent connectivity) - this runs Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit very well, and makes an excellent low-cost and low-energy desktop and small office server.

See: Zotac ZBOX AD02 (takes you to Zotac.com website)

P.S. Where in India is the "CityOfDreams" ?

Thanks again for your input.

Kind regards,

Adam.