Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do they always cancel SciFi shows just as you start to really like them?

Beans

Unhappy Re: Why do they always cancel SciFi shows just as you start to really like them?

Quote Originally Posted by fixitdude View Post
    Why do they always cancel SciFi shows just as you start to really like them?

They seem to be doing OK, and the fan base is growing but yet they get canceled?

Like Battle Star Galactica, a lot of people were watching it and commenting on it and it seemed to be getting closer to "mainstream" acceptance by a lot of non SciFi type people.

It's hard to believe that the SciFi executives are really that out of touch. Or is it the money people?

Now they are canceling Eureka.

And the new shows are about haunted streets or something dumb like that.

Is there some sort of psychological reason for this? Let "intellectuals" become happy and comfortable with something and then take it away so they are never happy? What do money people gain from that?
    It is money It is cheaper for TV to be lifestyle reality shows and they save a lot of money. Also more and more young people are using torrent to download free movies and free showsAnd look this what we get hollywood not pumping out many movies and TV turning more and more and more and more into mostly all lifestyle reality shows .

There is price you pay.

If people use torrent less and watch more TV shows and commercials the networks will get more money and you have less commercials and better shows. Same with people who go and buy movies and hollywood will have more movies.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Why do they always cancel SciFi shows just as you start to really like them?

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    I'm not big on Dr. Who but I have enjoyed specials like "The Waters of Mars". Really good.
    I really liked that episode.

If you wanna watch a good older sci-fi series get Babylon 5, my favourite. Really, give it a try.
    I ended up buying that one on DVD from the WBShop cuz it wasn't on Netflix streaming anymore. So worth it.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Why do they always cancel SciFi shows just as you start to really like them?

Quote Originally Posted by Favux
    I have no interest at all in their "reality" shows on ghosts or whatever. Ooh, a night vision camera. Spooky. I mean come on. But someone must be watching them.
    Everything now being "reality" shows,ghost hunters and other nonsense is the reason I no longer even have a tv...
    I love sf...Even the sci fi channel is no longer sci fi...Pathetic.
    Last edited by CharlesA; July 22nd, 2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: fixed broken quote tag
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm nearly there with you Linuxratty. That tells you just how bad they've made things when you consider how profound my TV addiction is.

My sister reports, just like you would expect with so little content creation, that acting jobs are close to impossible to find now. I mention her because she was in a Star Trek series pilot which didn't get picked up.

Beans

I don't use my TV much other than for the weather and for connecting my laptop to it, I like big screens.

But rarely I catch a glance at other channels, the ones with "reality" TV shows on them, all that is left on TV now is junk and commercials. I bet when the first TV's were released, and several channels were on, I don't think people were watching a baby sitter drop a baby and people who fainted for having a cookie crum on their clothes.

DTV stands for Degraded TeleVision.
    Last edited by codingman; July 22nd, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxratty View Post
    Everything now being "reality" shows,ghost hunters and other nonsense is the reason I no longer even have a tv...
    That's why they changed the name of the channel to SyFy.

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    My sister reports, just like you would expect with so little content creation, that acting jobs are close to impossible to find now. I mention her because she was in a Star Trek series pilot which didn't get picked up.
    That's pretty cool.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxratty View Post
    only 2 uses for a tv
    1 use as monitor
    2 use with gaming console

one reason i quit watching shows was cause the season ended and i never bothered to lookup/remember when the next one stared and i never found out when cause was not anything to after that season ended so i never saw the ad saying when the next one starts
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

I really liked Caprica it hooked me and the mrs right in loved it, ended far too soon.

There is a new Battlestar series coming out called Blood and Chrome (I think that's the name) to bridge the gap between Caprica and Galactica, looking forward to that one!

Beans

I was very disappointed when they cancelled "Dark Angel". But nothing compares to "Babylon 5"'s demise. It was like an arrow in my chest.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

loved V and caprica.

But right now I guess I'll have to get my sci-fi dose from other places like some anime/manga, games and books.
    Last edited by madjr; July 24th, 2012 at 06:17 AM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast