Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trouble Booting & Reading Data from SSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Trouble Booting & Reading Data from SSD

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    First look in log files. Use Log File Viewer and open dmesg. I should show the current boot and several previous versions like dmesg.0 or .1 etc. If not shown in default you have to open it from /var/log.

Look for some driver or device that takes a very long time, or repeats & fails.

If you had abnormal shutdowns the e2fsck could still help. Every 40 or 60 boots it runs fsck and if any issues may run it. That can slow booting by several minutes.
    Thanks OldFred. I have looked at dmesg logs but cannot figure out much, long and cryptic.

I'll boot from usb and attempt e2fsck on unmounted drive. I'll report back when done.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Trouble Booting & Reading Data from SSD

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Did you try e2fsck? That often repairs file systems like a chkdsk in Windows.
    Hey oldfred,

I tried e2fsck with both sets of parameters that you listed; it gives me an output like dmesg gave me above, and concludes with a warning that the filesystem still has errors. I think it's busted.

Thankfully, the drive is under warranty and I have a spare I can use in the meantime just to get a working install going.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12