Thread: Unused linux-swap partition

Beans

Unused linux-swap partition

Hello,

I'm working on an HP Pavilion dv9000, and I attempted to install Xubuntu when I first received it. Xubuntu wouldn't work, so I opted for Puppy Linux, but got sick of it very quickly.

So, I installed Xubuntu off of the live usb (rather than my failed live cd attempt) and just finished re-partitioning the hard drive to get rid of puppy and create a full Xubuntu partition. The thing is, /dev/sda5 (see picture below), the Puppy Linux linux-swap partition, remains.

I'd like to delete the partition so I don't ever get confused bewteen the Xubuntu swap and Puppy swap. Is it safe to delete the Puppy linux-swap partition since it's not in use?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unused linux-swap partition

Why do you have two swap partitions? You can have only one. I have one swap for multiple distros. If you are not using this current partition then it is safe do delete it, but first you have to unmount it.

Edit: yes it's safe to delete puppy partition.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You can delete this swap partition. Just make sure it isn't referenced in your /etc/fstab file.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans

No mention in fstab, so goodbye /dev/sda5!

Looks like I'll have to go into the live usb to delete the swap, it's telling me I have to unmount any partition having a number higher than 5, of which both my Xubuntu partition and linux-swap partition that I'm keeping are.

Thanks to both of you!
    Last edited by Epith; July 21st, 2012 at 08:05 PM. Reason: I found more information to add to my problem.

Beans
    Distro

Haha, good luck with deleting unused swap partition.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Beans
    Hidden!

Even using a live CD or USB you will need to right click on the unwanted swap partition and choose "swapoff" before you can delete it as live Linux systems are so clever they manage to find and use any swap partitions on the machine.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDanton View Post
    Why do you have two swap partitions? You can have only one.
    This is not true - if you have more than one swap - they will be used if the system knows about it.

Code:
    cat /proc/swaps
    Filename				Type		Size	Used	Priority
    /dev/sda8                               partition	2302972	132	-1
    /dev/sdc1                               partition	2440188	0	-2
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here