Thread: Other Ubuntu flavors.

Beans

Red face Other Ubuntu flavors.

Will System76 consider pre-installed Xubuntu/Lubuntu systems as well sometime in the future?

I'm a lubuntu fan, since ubuntu is heavy as a rock. And I only trust system76. :3

P.S: I'd also like to see a more budget friendly 14" laptop offering from System76. i3 processor, etc. can lower price significantly.
    P.S.S: I know my wants won't automatically make it happen. xD Just asking a question and stating an opinion here. <3
    Last edited by CyberKlown28; July 21st, 2012 at 07:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Other Ubuntu flavors.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberKlown28 View Post
    Will System76 consider pre-installed Xubuntu/Lubuntu systems as well sometime in the future?

I'm a lubuntu fan, since ubuntu is heavy as a rock. And I only trust system76. :3

P.S: I'd also like to see a more budget friendly 14" laptop offering from System76. i3 processor, etc. can lower price significantly.
    P.S.S: I know my wants won't automatically make it happen. xD Just asking a question and stating an opinion here. <3
    I don't speak for S76, but I can tell you that installing Xubuntu 12.04 on my lemU4 was completely painless; the only extra step is installing the S76 driver, which is very simple. Don't let installing Xubuntu deter you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by CyberKlown28 View Post
    So $689 is too much for what you get? You would probably be better off with a netbook.
    I have heard that other distros work just fine. All you need are the drivers and the kernel update. You might be able to ask them to put on another distro.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Ubun2to View Post
    You might be able to ask them to put on another distro.
    It would be nice if they did, but S76 won't do that. At least, they would not when I asked them to install Xubuntu on my lemU4. It's no big deal to do it yourself, though, and I think most folks who are likely candidates to use Xubuntu are technically capable of burning a CD and clicking a few buttons during the install process.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

S76 has stated in the past they will not install another variation on their machines. However, installing one yourself should be no problem
    Linux User #534560

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by macpj View Post
    S76 has stated in the past they will not install another variation on their machines. However, installing one yourself should be no problem
    This is correct. I will clarify that the System76 Driver utility will work on official Ubuntu derivatives. Basically, the OS has to identify as "Ubuntu" in order for it to work. That will allow it to run.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Regarding the question on whether the inclusion of an i3 processor, etc. can lower price significantly....

I am not with System 76, but I did work in this type of business for a while. While the price of the CPU makes up a large portion of the cost of the laptop, the difference in the street price between the ICore 3 and the ICore 5 may be less than you would think. The cost of the other parts and the cost to build the system are unaffected.

So, I doubt you will see much of a difference in the cost of Lemur if System 76 went with the CPU. But you might be disappointed when you want to do something where the Turboboost support in the I5 would be appreciated.
    Last edited by philbert; July 24th, 2012 at 09:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by philbert View Post
    Regarding the question on whether the inclusion of an i3 processor, etc. can lower price significantly....

I am not with System 76, but I did work in this type of business for a while. While the price of the CPU makes up a large portion of the cost of the laptop, the difference in the street price between the ICore 3 and the ICore 5 may be less than you would think. The cost of the other parts and the cost to build the system are unaffected.

So, I doubt you will see much of a difference in the cost of Lemur if System 76 went with the CPU. But you might be disappointed when you want to do something where the Turboboost support in the I5 would be appreciated.
    I might also note that this is the dual core i5, not the quad core. Not as good processing power, but better battery life. If you need a quad core processor for a serious powerhouse machine, get the i7.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.