Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: computer programming and Ubuntu

Beans

computer programming and Ubuntu

Hey.. I'm changing my major in college to Computer Programming so I'm shopping around for a laptop for school. I'm relatively new to Linux,Ubuntu but I'm enthusiastic about diving right in. Do you think that having a laptop with just the Ubuntu OS will conflict with my programming classes (I'm thinking software or something that won't have me in sync with the teacher or other classmates)? I was thinking of getting a system76 or just wiping away windows on new laptop, but would also consider settling with dual boot if you think that is a better option, thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: computer programming and Ubuntu

It depends on the particular school/class. Some are Unix-centered, and you will be fine with just Ubuntu, but some are Windows-cetered, and that might be a problem. You can always run Windows in VirtualBox but that's often unconvenient, so dual-booting might be a better choice.

So basically: ask around to know what the classes are like and which software is used.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

I am in Computer Science and all the machines in my department are, nearly all of my professors use, and most of my classmates primarily or exclusively use Linux. Most of those that don't use Macs for the similar command line functionality.

If you're studying programming in general, a Linux machine will be perfect. This is its strong suit.

It is possible that a class is on a subject matter like .NET languages or something that you would need Windows. You would know this well in advance, of course. In general - go for it, it's great fun and familiarity with *nix systems can help advance your programming.
    -Mike

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TiBaal89 View Post
    It is possible that a class is on a subject matter like .NET languages or something that you would need Windows.
    Still Linux has something for you in her magic box .MonoDevelop enables developers to quickly write desktop and ASP.NET Web applications on Linux .

http://monodevelop.com/Download
    “Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things”
    — Robert A. Heinlein

Beans

Thanks alot guys, The virtual box suggestion sounds ok, but i don't think i'm cool with spending beaucoup cash for windows 7, which i think i might have to do. i may just dual boot even though id rather not, for some reason.

The courses are on this site if you don't mind looking at them:

http://www.palmbeachstate.edu/x3223.xml?id=56

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by codemaniac View Post
    Still Linux has something for you in her magic box .MonoDevelop enables developers to quickly write desktop and ASP.NET Web applications on Linux .

http://monodevelop.com/Download
    Correct! And very cool. I've not taken any kind of .NET class myself, I don't know if covering the IDE is part of the curriculum.

Quote Originally Posted by iluvrockii;12121085[URL="http://www.palmbeachstate.edu/x3223.xml?id=56"
    http://www.palmbeachstate.edu/x3223.xml?id=56
    [/URL]
    C, C++, Java, networking, data structures... you'll be fine. Ask about the Visual Basic classes if you choose to take them. Other than that I'd encourage you to dive in. I did so maybe 6 years ago, it was rocky at first but the rewards at this stage have been monstrous.
    -Mike

Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The problem is not really in the language. Even if you do just C, if the class files use the Win32 API, or even if they are distributed as Visual Studio projects, converting them to Unix might be more trouble than it's worth.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by iluvrockii View Post
    Hey.. I'm changing my major in college to Computer Programming so I'm shopping around for a laptop for school. I'm relatively new to Linux,Ubuntu but I'm enthusiastic about diving right in. Do you think that having a laptop with just the Ubuntu OS will conflict with my programming classes (I'm thinking software or something that won't have me in sync with the teacher or other classmates)? I was thinking of getting a system76 or just wiping away windows on new laptop, but would also consider settling with dual boot if you think that is a better option, thanks.
    This was before I started using Linux. But when I attended the university in 2004 I had 2 classmates who did. They didn't have any trouble with any classes, from what I recall.
    This is my signature

Beans

When I was at university, I never needed Windows on my personal computer. When I did need to use a Windows program, there were always computer labs available. Mind you, this happened for me a lot more than it probably will for you, because I was in a 4-year engineering program. Stick with cross platform languages (e.g. C, C++, Java) and you should be able to do the vast majority of your work in Linux. (Be aware of the hours the labs are open and avoid them at peak times or right before an assignment is due.)

I'd be a bit more concerned about having to choose 15 hours from [ COP1220, COP2334, COP2800, COP2840, COP1332, COP2838, COP2805, COP2831 ]. Notably, the only languages that get more than a single course are Java and Visual Basic. Furthermore, it seems the school's emphasis is all on Web technologies, which make up only a small section of available programming jobs (one that I personally find pretty boring[1]).

If I were in your position I'd talk to my academic advisor about getting a somewhat broader background. See if you can substitute some digital electronics or lower-level programming courses for a few of your electives. I'd advise taking a project management class too. It's your education, and you're getting it on the cheap -- make the most of it!

[1] Edit: on rereading, I realize I could come across here as being insulting or condescending to Web programmers -- that wasn't my intention at all. I simply wanted to point out ways in which you might broaden your experience without spending more money on your education. "Boring" was a touch of opinion, not a value judgment -- plenty of people probably find what I do boring, and that's fine.
    Last edited by trent.josephsen; July 22nd, 2012 at 10:07 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Keep in mind that Mono is not .NET. Mono is not developed by Microsoft and is not up to date with .NET versions.
    I am infallible, you should know that by now.
    "My favorite language is call STAR. It's extremely concise. It has exactly one verb '*', which does exactly what I want at the moment." --Larry Wall
    (02:15:31 PM) ***TimToady and snake oil go way back...
    42 lines of Perl - SHI - Home Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast