Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: computer programming and Ubuntu

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    /dev/null
    Beans
    1,574
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: computer programming and Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by slavik View Post
    Keep in mind that Mono is not .NET. Mono is not developed by Microsoft and is not up to date with .NET versions.
    Keep in mind that Mono supports features that have not yet been released in .NET, e.g. the "csharp" REPL has been in Mono for years, Microsoft aren't adding one until .NET 5.0
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth

  2. #12

    Re: computer programming and Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    Keep in mind that Mono supports features that have not yet been released in .NET, e.g. the "csharp" REPL has been in Mono for years, Microsoft aren't adding one until .NET 5.0
    Great! So not only can I write code for .NET that doesn't run on Mono, I can even write code for Mono that doesn't run on .NET? It sounds just like Java, except for the nasty cross-platform compatibility part! </s>

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    1,450
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: computer programming and Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by iluvrockii View Post
    Thanks alot guys, The virtual box suggestion sounds ok, but i don't think i'm cool with spending beaucoup cash for windows 7, which i think i might have to do. i may just dual boot even though id rather not, for some reason.

    The courses are on this site if you don't mind looking at them:

    http://www.palmbeachstate.edu/x3223.xml?id=56
    Unless you already have a licensed copy of Windows you will need to pay whether you dual boot or use Virtual Box. Virtual box will happily run Windows XP though - even if it won't install raw on your laptop - so you don't have to buy Windows 7, if you already have XP, and your development tools are supported on it.
    Tony - Happy to try to help.
    Unless otherwise stated - all code posted by me is untested. Remember to Mark the Thread as Solved.
    Ubuntu user number # 24044 Projects : TimeWarp - on the fly Backups

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    9

    Re: computer programming and Ubuntu

    Before you shell out the cash for Windows, I would check with the CS department at your school and see if you can get a free MSDNAA student account. A lot of universities' offer such accounts to CS students, at least mine did. They have a lot of great Microsoft software for free, such as Windows 7, Windows 8 Consumer Preview and VisualStudio 2010.

    As for needing Windows for school, my school's CS classes are primarily through Unix, so I use Ubuntu to do most of my CS homework, especially the programming. I still like to keep Windows though because I do some VB.NET work and am learning C# and I like VisualStudio (especially since it was free...).

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    /dev/null
    Beans
    1,574
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: computer programming and Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by trent.josephsen View Post
    Great! So not only can I write code for .NET that doesn't run on Mono, I can even write code for Mono that doesn't run on .NET? It sounds just like Java, except for the nasty cross-platform compatibility part! </s>
    csharp actually runs on Microsoft.NET if you want it to.

    But at any rate, you can write some single-platform Java in 2 lines, so what exactly is your argument?

    Just a general "Your course expects Windows so you should not consider a Free Software replacement because Microsoft is awesome" posting from the usual anti-Mono crowd?
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth

  6. #16

    Re: computer programming and Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    csharp actually runs on Microsoft.NET if you want it to.

    But at any rate, you can write some single-platform Java in 2 lines, so what exactly is your argument?

    Just a general "Your course expects Windows so you should not consider a Free Software replacement because Microsoft is awesome" posting from the usual anti-Mono crowd?
    Um. What?

    My point is that .NET is a proprietary platform for which there is no drop-in open source replacement. Even if there was, Microsoft could release a new version tomorrow and you'd be playing catch-up again. The fact that Mono exists doesn't eliminate vendor lock-in or alter the fact that Microsoft is calling the shots on the .NET platform.

    In that way it's a bit like Wine, or any attempt at manipulating OOXML. Or PDF for that matter.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England
    Beans
    860

    Re: computer programming and Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by iluvrockii View Post
    Hey.. I'm changing my major in college to Computer Programming so I'm shopping around for a laptop for school. I'm relatively new to Linux,Ubuntu but I'm enthusiastic about diving right in. Do you think that having a laptop with just the Ubuntu OS will conflict with my programming classes (I'm thinking software or something that won't have me in sync with the teacher or other classmates)? I was thinking of getting a system76 or just wiping away windows on new laptop, but would also consider settling with dual boot if you think that is a better option, thanks.
    Since most laptops have Windows installed on as default, I would say that you are better to dual boot than completely wipe everything off. I have found that it is worth having Windows if possible. There are little things I tend to need it for. I do all my work in Ubuntu, but if I ever need to provide someone with a Word doc, I open my file in Word to check it displays ok. OpenOffice say that it is compatible but I have found that they get things wrong on occasion.

    So ultimately what I am trying to say is, if you buy a laptop that has no OS, then fair enough, just stick Ubuntu on. If you buy one with Windows pre-installed, it doesn't hurt to keep it in the background and dual boot.

    Paul
    My current project: http://apps.facebook.com/beatthetexan - Creating an artificial poker player using neural networks and genetic algorithms.
    My blog: http://pm-gaming.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •