'coz i'm new in ubunto

Beans

Re: HowTo: theme your desktop

great job. thx bro !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Talking Re: HowTo: theme your desktop

Very thorough post - great job! Now my desktop is the envy of my friends j/k lol!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

This truly is a wonderful tutorial, but I am still having trouble. Probably because the version used in the tutorial is an older one and the locations are no longer the same, or at least that is my guess. For example, I don't have System->Preferences->Themes and I cannot even find Applications->Administration->Configuration Editor. That's just a couple of examples of what I mean.

Hopefully I can eventually sort it out, but I still do thank you for such a detailed tutorial.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by magnoliasouth View Post
    This truly is a wonderful tutorial, but I am still having trouble. Probably because the version used in the tutorial is an older one and the locations are no longer the same, or at least that is my guess. For example, I don't have System->Preferences->Themes and I cannot even find Applications->Administration->Configuration Editor. That's just a couple of examples of what I mean.

Hopefully I can eventually sort it out, but I still do thank you for such a detailed tutorial.
    I cannot find Themes also but I know how to get to the Configuration Editor, all you do here is type in the Command Line: gconf-editor

Beans

nvmnd soz.
    Last edited by UnhappyFace; May 30th, 2010 at 01:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

5: Panels

You can play with panels to achieve a more comfortable setting.
    ---
    By default you should have two panels, one at the top, the other at the bottom. To create a new panel or delete one, you can just right-click on the panel.
    ---
    Under Properties you can also choose some other things: you may set it to hide automatically your panel or to make it a bit transparent. If your panel doesn't hide correctly, then you have to edit the panel configuration.
    ---
    However the whole area should be filled if you have enough windows open. Now you can delete the Window List on the lower panel. The same can be done with the Notification Area, which is the area with the little icons like the network status.

Many people will want to put the window list and the notification area on the upper panel and launchers for the most common applications on the lower.
    OR

1. You can keep your top panel as is (24px) expanded and locked.
    2. Then change the bottom panels (Right Click > Properties) Orientation to TOP, Expand and Auto Hide.
    3. For this to work and have the TOP panel on top again; Change it's orientation to bottom, wait for the bottom panel (now up top) to hide, then change the Top panels orientation back to TOP.
    4. Now your top panel is as it was and when you push your cursor to the very top of the screen, your other panel will pop-down so you can select desktops and active windows.

I've done this and added a Window selector to the original top panel, plus relocated the clock / calendar to the far right and deleted the original 'Menu Bar' on the left and replaced it with the 'Main Menu' which eliminates all the text and just leaves the ubuntu icon and a lot more room for my frequently used launcher icons along the top.

edit / added comments below...

Why did I do it this way?
    Well this panel trick gives me / you more room for windows when your display is real estate challenged like on my old DELL Latitude D610 with a max res. of 1024x768 ... running Lucid 10.04 LTS.
    and...
    I moved the clock to the far right because on occasion my 'Indicator Applet Session' (power button icon) has a mind of its own and has a tendency to disappear without a trace.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Photonic Nature; September 25th, 2012 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Added a little extra notes.
    In a world without Walls & Fences, who needs Windows & Gates?
    "Stupid is, as Stupid does" Mrs. Gump

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This one may be soon closed as being old, but whoever is redoing the Eye Candy Wiki may want to refer to this thread.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

And on that note, closing.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456