Thread: Linux (in any flavor, but preferably Ubuntu) on a Windows Phone

Beans

Linux (in any flavor, but preferably Ubuntu) on a Windows Phone

Hello-

I currently have a Blackberry, but my wife told me tonight that she doesn't like her Samsung SGH-i927 Windows 7 phone.

Oddly enough, we had an unopened cell phone in a box that was sent to us by mistake, and she is going to try that out. My Blackberry is getting kind of beat up, while her phone is like new, so if I want, I can switch over to the Samsung. Problem is, I don't much care for the OS either, even though the hardware itself has a bigger screen and a touchpad.

The answer here might be android, in which case, I am sure I'm in the wrong forum- but I have been lead to believe that Android is built on a Linux platform, and I am wondering if anyone here knows if I can jailbreak this hardware and install a new operating system on it. The phone itself is in nice shape, and I know that installing Ubuntu on my laptop was enough of a speed improvement that I dumped windows 7 entirely. I'd like to use Ubuntu on the phone as well, but any flavor of Linux would be fine for the mobile device.

It is an AT&T phone, so transferring the one from the Blackberry to the Samsung is easy to do. If anyone has a link or some direction on doing this, I'd really appreciate it. I've been finding that using ubuntu (at least) really gives a speed boost to older hardware, and I figure that if it works for a laptop, it probably works for a phone as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Linux (in any flavor, but preferably Ubuntu) on a Windows Phone

It is not likely.

Maybe (big maybe) if there is a similar model that uses android you could somehow flash it with the image from that model. However this is not likely either.

Replacing the windows os entirely with a linux distro would be near impossible considering the proprietary hardware/drivers that the phone (and all phones for that matter) utilizes. Even my n900 which comes with linux (maemo) installed cannot easily be upgraded to newer kernels because of proprietary kernel modules driving a lot of the hardware.

Beans

Re: Linux (in any flavor, but preferably Ubuntu) on a Windows Phone

Ah... that's a shame. Guess I'll either have to get used to the Win 7 phone format, or stick with the Blackberry.

The phone isn't bad, really, so I guess I'm not going to lose much sleep over it.