Thread: Best compression tool or method

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Best compression tool or method

Hey all, I was just curious as to what the best compression tool or method is in Ubuntu, well Linux in general, but Ubuntu is my main Linux OS. In Windows I use 7-zip and the Ultra setting seems to compress to a smaller size than I have ever seen from any other compression utility. I was wondering what is comparable to 7zip ultra method in terms of file size? I don't care about speed really.
    We are 138

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Best compression tool or method

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus138 View Post
    Hey all, I was just curious as to what the best compression tool or method is in Ubuntu, well Linux in general, but Ubuntu is my main Linux OS. In Windows I use 7-zip and the Ultra setting seems to compress to a smaller size than I have ever seen from any other compression utility. I was wondering what is comparable to 7zip ultra method in terms of file size? I don't care about speed really.
    You can use 7zip in Ubuntu as well .I guess you need to install the package p7zip from the Universe repository .
    “Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things”
    — Robert A. Heinlein

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by codemaniac View Post
    You can use 7zip in Ubuntu as well .I guess you need to install the package p7zip from the Universe repository .
    Oh ok, I was trying to install it with apt-get and was trying 7zip by itself and I know I could have searched in the software center, but for some reason didn't think of it til just now lol probably because I never use it. I didn't know there was a 'p' in front of it. I just installed it in Wine, but I always prefer to use the Linux programs if possible. And also I didn't know if there was something else Linux had in place of it. awesome thanks.
    Last edited by Lateralus138; July 21st, 2012 at 07:37 AM.
    We are 138

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus138 View Post
    Oh ok, I was trying to install it with apt-get and was trying 7zip by itself and I know I could have searched in the software center, but for some reason didn't think of it til just now lol probably because I never use it. I didn't know there was a 'p' in front of it. I just installed it in Wine, but I always prefer to use the Linux programs if possible. And also I didn't know if there was something else Linux had in place of it. awesome thanks.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install p7zip-full
    However I use gzip all the time .
    You can try up the below compression utilities as well .
    http://www.techradar.com/news/softwa...-tested-933098
    “Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things”
    — Robert A. Heinlein

Beans
    Distro

I guess it was already on my computer but there's no gui of course that's no big deal as I do most things from the terminal anyway. I have been reading about the different compression methods and how to get the best compression for the smallest files and I read somewhere that bzip is supposed to have the best according to this guys benchmarks here. But I did my own benchmarks using the best compression methods of both bzip2 and 7zip and I got a folder that was originally 64 mbs down to 26mbs with Bzip2 and down to 16mbs! in 7zip.

Edit: I just tried gzip with the -9 switch for best compression and it only got down to 26mbs as well.
    Last edited by Lateralus138; July 21st, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
    We are 138

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

When right clicking the folder and selecting compress there is a menu in the dialog box. Choose the package type toy want and the list will reflect the compression tools you have installed. Some compression tools might include a GUI independent of the file roller.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    When right clicking the folder and selecting compress there is a menu in the dialog box. Choose the package type toy want and the list will reflect the compression tools you have installed. Some compression tools might include a GUI independent of the file roller.
    Thanks, I seen about 9 different compression types. I stated above I prefer command lines, but I was interested in gui options anyway so I did some googling and found this q7z for 7zip here (I had to install pyqt4-dev-tools to install it) and it works great just like Windows gui tool.

After playing with the tool for a minute I found out it also has the same compression options for xz, bzip, gzip, zip and tar.

I used each archive type with ultra compression on a text file and it seems that gzip did do the best there. I tried it on some images and it beat them too but only by a little of course images you cant barely compress at all anyway.

Text file (1.1kb) with ultra compression:
    xz=828 bytes
    bzip2=801 bytes
    gzip=774 bytes
    zip=818 bytes
    tar=10.2 kbs? wow (I did these 3 times with the same results)

I then compressed a folder with multiple files (238.6kbs) types (part if a gtk theme) and here were its' results:
    xz=33.8 kbs
    bzip2=43.5 kbs
    gzip=51.9 kbs
    zip=161.5 kbs
    tar=266.2 kbs

It looks like it just depends on what you're compressing for what type you should use.

Thanx again.
    Last edited by Lateralus138; July 21st, 2012 at 09:49 PM.
    We are 138

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

7zip for Windows has a GUI ,but installs as part of the file roller in Ubuntu.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    7zip for Windows has a GUI ,but installs as part of the file roller in Ubuntu.
    Sorry I just edited my post above. I know, I use 7zip for Windows and I said above I have installed it in Wine, I just wish I could get better results from command lines. I don't really like to do anything the "easy way".
    We are 138