Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Power Mac G5 Refusing to Install 12.04

Beans

Unhappy Power Mac G5 Refusing to Install 12.04

I am somewhat new to linux (especially on apple computers) but I have been trying to install ubuntu 12.04 for the past 2 days, using what I could find in the forums as a guide. So far I have tried both the Live and text based installers with no luck-both never get far enough to actually start installing anything. I am probably doing something wrong but I have no idea what it is.

The live installer loads the kernel and briefly boots to a white screen with text followed by a solid black screen.

The text based installer starts working after I type cli-expert-powerpc64 and the kernel loads, but after a while it shows a screen that looks like this:
    [ 1. ]
    [ 1. ]

^this goes all the way to the bottom of the screen which just a bit odd imo.

These are the specs of the G5 I am fighting with:
    Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0GHz (late 2005)
    Nvidia 6600LE Display Adapter
    2 GB ram; 1.5 TB HDD

I would love to get this working so I can help with linux support on PowerPC processors in the future since apple kicked the platform aside.

I am frustrated with this machine and cannot let it win!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Re: Power Mac G5 Refusing to Install 12.04

I assume you are using the powerpc CD for Ubuntu?
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPC/
    Also check this for hardware supported:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...sDesktopsApple
    Registered Linux user #475388
    Using Various flavours of Linux: Ubuntu 10.04, Linux Mint 6, Mandriva, OpenSuse.

Beans

I saw that same compatibility chart and it does suggest that I can't run ubuntu with the late 2005 model G5 with my graphics card. I was hoping that there may be a way to at least get the text based installer to work and experiment from there.

It seems like some people have had success with g5's, theres even a thread for people who are testing 12.04 on these machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

I expect they are using the later G5's
    Have you tried an older version of Ubuntu?
    Maybe 10.10:
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/10.10/release/
    You could try upgrading after installing.
    Registered Linux user #475388
    Using Various flavours of Linux: Ubuntu 10.04, Linux Mint 6, Mandriva, OpenSuse.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel1 View Post
    I expect they are using the later G5's
    Have you tried an older version of Ubuntu?
    Maybe 10.10:
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/10.10/release/
    You could try upgrading after installing.
    I think I will give it a shot, may be a while until I know if it works. I won't hold my breath, as the model of G5 I have is very different from the earlier years, which may be why it wont work. I think this is the last model they made.

Beans

That chart hasn't been updated since 2010 judging from the stamp on the page. FWIW, My PowerMac is the very first generation 1.6 GHZ and it handles Ubuntu fine minus some current graphics bugs. Mine has different video card though. (FX 5200) I'm not recommending it or saying it is fast, but I have had Unbuntu,Lubuntu, Xubuntu, and Kubuntu 12.04 running on a G3 before. I'm a glutton for tinkering.

ImaAliveG5 By "live" do you mean second link on this page? http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/precise/release/
    Last edited by str8bs; July 20th, 2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: verify iso question - and too much caffein

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by str8bs View Post
    That chart hasn't been updated since 2010 judging from the stamp on the page. FWIW, My PowerMac is the very first generation 1.6 GHZ and it handles Ubuntu fine minus some current graphics bugs. Mine has different video card though. (FX 5200) I'm not recommending it or saying it is fast, but I have had Unbuntu,Lubuntu, Xubuntu, and Kubuntu 12.04 running on a G3 before. I'm a glutton for tinkering.

ImaAliveG5 By "live" do you mean second link on this page? http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/precise/release/
    the ISOs i downloaded are the first and second links on this page http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=427714 when I refer to the live install, i am talking about the first one.

Beans

It may be easier to test with the desktop ISO (you already downloaded). I don't have a 6600 so..

What physical display port are you plugged in to and what display are you using?
    Is it a DVI connector or ADC connector?

Have you tried any kernel boot parameters with live?
    Last edited by str8bs; July 20th, 2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: One would think Siri was typing....oops

Beans

I have a DVI to HDMI adapter cable connected to the first out of 2 DVI connectors on the card. My monitor is a 22 inch visio flatscreen.

I have tried the nosplash and another that I found for a similar problem: video=ofsonly-something like that.

they both load the kernel and go to a white screen with text, followed by the "black screen of doom"

i can try things with the desktop cd-i still have it and can load it into the g5.
    Last edited by ImAliveG5; July 20th, 2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: just to let everyone know

Beans

When it goes to black screen, can you press CTL+ALT+F1 to get to a terminal?
    If not, I would suspect a phantom port issue like the 5200's have or the HDMI adapter may be confusing things.

Just speculation, but I wonder if the 6600 has phantom port issues as well? I can't really tell without seeing the logs.

Things I would try if possible:
    Code:
    boot: live video=TV-1:d
    Code:
    boot: live 1 nosplash video=ofonly nouveau.modeset=0
    Should at least boot to command line unless the adapter is causing problems.
    2. Another display with DVI. (To rule out the adapter.)
    3. Swap port it is plugged in to.

Also, I've never seen the 1. 1. 1. you described from CLI install so I may be way off base. Since you are dual booting, I presume the firmware is the latest?
    Last edited by str8bs; July 20th, 2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Also

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast