Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iMac (12,2) on 11.04

Beans

Latest iMac (12,2 - May 2011) on 11.04

I've just installed Ubuntu 11.04 (64 bit) on the latest iMac 27' (12,2 - May 2011) and thought I'd let other interested people know that I didn't encounter any issues.

The only thing I had to do was to add "options snd-hda-intel model=mbp55" and turn up the front speakers via "alsamixer" to get better sound quality although sound did work out of the box (was just bit tinny). Sound works out of the box. I only had to turn the volume up on the "front speaker" and un-mute the "surround speaker".

Plugging in a headset unfortunately doesn't mute the internal speakers.

The Radeon open source divers and ati drivers both work.

The wifi works out of the box (ath9k).

The webcam works out of the box.

Suspend/resume works out of the box (only tested using the open source Radeon driver).

I've installed a OCZ Vertex 3 (Sata III - 6gbps) drive and am getting read speeds of ~460 MB/s so Sata III is working.

To still test:
    * mic via headset

Here's my iMac specs:
    * cpu: i5 2500S (2.7ghz)
    * grx: ati radeon hd 6700m 512m
    * audio: hda intel - cirrus (00:1b.0)
    Last edited by zacbarton; May 17th, 2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Updated test results.

Beans

Re: iMac (12,2) on 11.04

Hi,
    could you give more information ?
    which procedure did you follow to install ubuntu :
    * using bootcamp, refit, grub-efi-amd64 (the default in 11.04) ?
    * are you booting in BIOS mode or EFI mode ?
    * did you reformat your disk or just resized/added a partition ?
    * does radeon kms is enabled ? (what's your xorg log ?)
    * do plugging a headphone switch off front speakers and works ?
    * what's your imac panel size, 27" ?

Regards,
    Jérémy.

Beans

Jérémy,

I installed Ubuntu using the bootcamp method so I boot via BIOS emulation.

For this install I resized the osx partition and installed Ubuntu on the remaining free space. My drive looks like: efi (210m), osx (16g), unknown (1m), ubuntu (220g), swap (4.3g). Note that the Ubuntu installer created the unknown (1m) partition most likey for aligning (guessing). Previously I've installed Ubuntu on the entire disk.

I've since replaced the default HDD with a OCZ SSD (Vertex 3) so that's why my partition sizes look smaller than what you might be expecting.

Yes my Radeon HD 6770m has KMS enabled, "[drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled".

Plugging in a headset unfortunately doesn't mute the internal speakers. I haven't tested using a mic on a headset yet.

I've got the 27".

Beans

All right, same thing here : booting from bios (actually, from cd chaining to hard drive) gives the same results.
    The headphones problem is getting solved, at least i have a patch for this :
    https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/al...ew.php?id=5364
    it gives a perfect behavior of alsa sound controls.
    though that patch is "fix my imac12,2 only" for now.

It's possible to run that model with efi, but some patches are needed :
    https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=23202
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=26891
    and it kills screen backlight control (some memory mapping bug,
    probably caused by the first patch).

Everything else (i know of) works. I wonder if the intel gpu is shut down. Temperature is getting quite high (near 70°c idle in a 25°c room), so i had to change applesmc min fan speeds (in /sys search fan1_min).

I avoided bootcamp, because it does weird things with the partition table.

Beans

do your bluetooth devices (magic mouse, apple keyboard) work too?! I can't get them to work no matter what I try. also, could you give me a few pointers to install via boot camp?

thanks a lot, I was about to give up hope

Beans

Update : linux 3.0.0-rc1 is able to boot an imac12,2 in EFI mode,
    and fglrx works (i tested with 11-4 and 11-5), but aticonfig doesn't, so one has to create a simple xorg.conf by hand (search google...). Fglrx also does a great job at keeping the computer cold : there's a 10°c difference with radeon kms (but that driver needs some patch to load vbios to work).
    Getting headphones working requires a patch. I mentionned that in some other places.
    To answer the question : magicmouse is working, but was broken with 2.6.39 and fixed just after.
    The only thing that does not work is lcd backlight control.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Anyone tried this on an iMac 12,1? I'm downloading 11.04 right now for my 12,1, I'll let everyone know how it goes, just curious if anyone has done it yet. I think the only difference between the 12,2 and the 12,1 is mine is a 21.5in model and has a slower processor as well as different graphics card.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dougxdrums View Post
    Anyone tried this on an iMac 12,1? I'm downloading 11.04 right now for my 12,1, I'll let everyone know how it goes, just curious if anyone has done it yet. I think the only difference between the 12,2 and the 12,1 is mine is a 21.5in model and has a slower processor as well as different graphics card.
    Have a look at :
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/na...ux/+bug/542660

Beans

I'm stuck with backlight control under EFI...
    Writing directly to 0xB2/0xB3 io ports does not work (it does when booted under BIOS).
    Any idea welcome...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kapouer View Post
    I'm stuck with backlight control under EFI...
    Writing directly to 0xB2/0xB3 io ports does not work (it does when booted under BIOS).
    Any idea welcome...
    I just installed rEFIt, allocated some free space for linux with disk utility, and installed ubuntu with grub installed into the same partition, but I can't get my bluetooth working for the life of me. I can see the devices, but they disappear from blueman after a split second, then re-appear later. I installed kernel 2.6.39; what did I miss?

Any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated. I've been tearing my hair out about this for about a week now.
    Last edited by mbarvian; June 14th, 2011 at 06:29 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast